If you are someone looking for a chainsaw that can handle demanding work, then this article is for you. In it, we’re going to explore the best professional chainsaw for you to buy so you can cut through timber quickly and easily.
Professional chainsaws come with a slightly higher price tag than basic chainsaw models. However, they are easy to handle and will last you for years. All you need to do is ensure that you choose a high-quality professional chainsaw such as the ones in our review list.
So let’s take the confusion out of choosing the right tool for your needs with our in-depth review and buying guide. We’ve even included an FAQ section to make your job of choosing the perfect chainsaw for your needs a whole lot easier.
10 Best Professional Chainsaw: At A Glance
So let’s get right to it!
Top 10 Best Professional Chainsaw Review:
1. Husqvarna Gas Chainsaw
This is undoubtedly the best professional chainsaw on the market right now, and that’s why it made it to the top of our list. The gas-powered tool has an ergonomic design which allows the handler to control its power with ease. It’s powerful but easy to start due to its smart technology.
With this chainsaw, you will be able to quickly and easily bring down trees, pruned limbs, or cut up firewood. It’s no matter what type of job you have in mind, you’ll be able to get through it efficiently with this amazing tool.
It has an air injection centrifugal system for cleaning the air, and which is designed to help keep larger dust and debris particles from getting to the air filter, which helps to improve the engine’s life. It also has a LowVib anti-vibration system which helps to reduce vibration levels significantly, and this makes for a much more comfortable operation of this power tool.
This is definitely the best soul for part-time users and landowners who need a heavy-duty, high-powered, and responsive tool that works well in all cutting conditions.
- 20-inch, 55cc gas chainsaw
- Quick-release air filter for easy cleaning and replacement
- Side-mounted chain tensioning system for quick adjustments
- Automatic chain oiler for safe, effective use
- 2-cycle engine and intertia-activated chain brake
2. DEWALT Cordless Chainsaw Kit
This cordless chainsaw features extremely low kickback and is constructed with outdoor cutting applications in mind. According to a lot of chainsaw reviews, this product from the Dewalt brand has a unique design that comes with the chain brake to give you additional kickback protection.
The bar tightening knob and tool-free chain tensioning allows you to exert the proper bar clamping force. This chainsaw also has auto oiling which means you can have continuous lubrication, making your cutting efforts as safe and effective as possible.
It has a quarter-turn oil cap to make your refills quick and easy, and this powerful tool offers up to 70 cuts with each charge. The 16-inch barrel length makes it ideal for cutting smaller trees, pruning branches, and cutting firewood. Backed by a three-year limited warranty from the manufacturer, you can be sure that you’re getting a high-quality, affordable, and great performing tool when you buy the Dewalt Cordless Chainsaw Kit.
- Chain brake for kickback protection
- Ergonomic lightweight design offers ease of use
- Features tool-free chain tensioning
- Auto-oiling offers continuous lubrication
- Very low kickback great for outdoor cutting applications
3. GreenWorks Cordless Chainsaw
The manufacturer of this chainsaw has definitely taken lithium-ion technology to another level. This chainsaw is one of the best gas comparable alternatives you’ll find on the market right now. With 70% less vibration and 30% more torque than the gas-powered chainsaws, this is an ideal option for anyone who is looking for a cutting tool with far more power, less noise, greater efficiency, and longer life.
This is an ideal chainsaw for users of all skill levels and experience. So whether you’re a veteran chainsaw user or if it’s your first time handling a machine such as this one, this is a great tool to help you get your work done quickly, and efficiently.
The saw features a heavy-duty, Oregon bar and chain, chain break, and chain pitch, as well as an automatic boiler – all of which makes it extremely easy to use. It’s very easy to get the ultimate performance from this cutting tool, making this the best all-around professional chainsaw on the market right now.
- Brushless motor provides longer run time
- Designed for more torque and power
- Extended lifespan thanks to reduced wear and tear
- 70% less vibration offers more user comfort
- Single battery powers at least 25 tools
4. Black + Decker Cordless Chainsaw
This cordless chainsaw has a 40V lithium-ion battery which offers longer run time and significantly longer life overall. The battery can stay charged for up to five times longer. With this tool, you get smooth and fast cuts thanks to its 12-inch low kickback bar and chain.
Tool-free chain tensioning allows you to make chain adjustments quickly and easily during use. This tool also has a lightweight design which offers maximum maneuverability and ease of use. Its automatic oiling system helps to ensure that your bar and chain have constant lubrication for effective and safe use.
If you are searching for the best selling chainsaw, you won’t go wrong with this brand. Designed with the wraparound bail handle for increased comfort and control, this is undoubtedly one of the best models you’ll find on the market today.
- Green LED light flashes to show battery charging
- 12-inch premium bar and chain
- Automatic oiling system
- Tool-free tensioning for easy chain adjustment
- Longer run time 40V Max lithium-ion battery
5. DEWALT Li-Ion Chainsaw
Equipped with an auto oiling system to keep the chain and guide bar lubricated constantly, this chainsaw is one of the best models you’ll find out there. The oil level indicator will show you the level of oil in the chainsaw, and if it’s less than a quarter full, simply remove the battery and refill with the right type of oil. Just make sure to always empty the oil tank when you’re done cutting.
According to a lot of chainsaw reviews online, the 12-inch Oregon bar and chain on this model offer low kickback making it ideal for construction and various outdoor cutting applications. The high-efficiency brushless motor helps to maximize run time which, in turn, significantly increases the lifespan of your motor.
With tool-free chain tensioning and convenient bolt-tightening knob, this compact and lightweight unit is ideal for anyone who wants maximum user control and comfort.
- Unit is part of 20V Max system tools
- Boasts 25.2 ft./s chain speed
- Compact and lightweight 8.8 pounds design
- High-efficiency brushless motor
- Low kickback 12-inch Oregon bar and chain
6. Poulan Gas Chainsaw
For anyone searching for a powerful 20-inch chainsaw that is easy to start as well as to operate, this is a great option for you to consider. It is a high-quality, robust model that has a low weight for ease of use. This chainsaw is equipped with an OxyPower engine which guarantees a lot more power while offering lower emission levels as well as lower fuel consumption.
The soft start feature makes the chainsaw extremely easy to start, and it also has a purge and integrated choke-stop controls. Even beginner users will find this tool extremely easy to handle, and maintenance is a breeze thanks to the convenient side-adjust chain tensioning and the easy access clips on the unit’s cylinder cover which allow you quick access to the spark plug and filter.
For anyone searching for the best professional chainsaw on the market right now, this is one you seriously need to consider. It’s also backed by a two-year limited warranty for your peace of mind.
- Unique engine technology provides additional power
- 20% lower fuel consumption and 70% fewer emissions
- Combi tool integrated into the rear handle
- User-friendly choke/stop control for faster starting
- Purge bulb is protected to reduce risk of damage
7. Remington Gas Chainsaw
This chainsaw was designed with massive jobs in mind. The gas-powered engine, while being 46cc, is powerful enough to rival even the best Stihl chainsaw in the same category. It has a 20-inch bar and chain which means that it can be used to cut down large trees as well as manage extensive storm damage.
This unit has quick start technology that you can rev up and get to cutting down trees right away. It has a professional-grade diecast chassis designed to withstand the test of time. You don’t have to worry a lot about wear and tear as all the parts in this model are designed to be long-lasting and durable.
The device has a side access tensioner which makes it easy to quickly adjust your chains during use. The ergonomic handles and enhanced grip help to keep vibrations as low as possible, which means your hands will not only be steady, but comfortable too. It comes with a well-written operator’s guide from the manufacturer to let you know how to use, store, maintain, and troubleshoot the machine.
- Comes with a two-year warranty from the manufacturer
- Powerful engine with a high output of 46cc
- Designed to perform big jobs well
- Features quick start technology
- Tool-free access to spark plug and filter
8. Echo Gas Chainsaw
This gas chainsaw from the Echo brand is extremely reliable and very easy to operate. It’s definitely among the best selling chainsaw models that you’ll find thanks to its high-quality construction as well as its affordable price.
With this saw, you’ll be able to slice through pines, oaks, ironwood, and various other types of trees. It has great power for chewing through thick cuts quickly and effectively despite its lightweight.
Always clean your saw after each use by taking off the covering chain to clean out the wood particles. This helps to ensure long-lasting performance. Also, keep a sharp chain on your saw and do your best to use small batches of fresh gasoline with stabilizers in order to prevent the fuel from getting old, which is something else that can negatively affect the longevity of your power tool.
- Lightweight and very easy to carry and use
- Great for small trees and branches
- Comes with clear, well-written operator’s manual
- Anti-vibration handles reduce fatigue
- 18-inch bar length, 40cc engine displacement
9. Hitachi Purefire Engine Chainsaw
This Hitachi chainsaw has a PureFire engine designed for commercial users who need to be able to quickly and easily cut down large trees. It features a commercial-grade 50cc engine that provides clean and powerful performance while consuming less fuel.
This is undoubtedly the best 50cc professional chainsaw for anyone who wants a tool that is incredibly easy to start and control. It has a decompression valve for easy starting as well as bumper spikes and the sprocket nose bar for extra control during use.
The side-access chain tensioning system makes it easier to adjust the chain during use, and it also has an adjustable oiler to regulate the flow of oil to the bar and chain.
- Toolless access to the air filter
- Professional-grade power tool designed for cutting large trees
- High-quality craftsmanship offered at an affordable price
- Powerful 50cc commercial-grade engine
- Additional power with less fuel consumption
10. Craftsman Gas Chainsaw
With a 46cc full crank max output engine, this gas chainsaw is one that you should definitely consider if you’re looking for a great way of cutting through tough wood quickly and easily. With this saw, you’ll be able to achieve more efficient results as it is designed to withstand hours of brutal, prolonged cutting tasks.
It is equipped with easy-start technology which allows you to be up and running in just seconds with minimal pull-start effort. In addition to that, this saw has cushioned full-wrap handle as well as a 5-point anti-vibration system which helps to reduce hand fatigue during use.
This is undoubtedly the best 50cc professional chainsaw you’ll find for the price. It will make a great addition to anyone’s arsenal of tools for bringing down massive trees or chopping up large branches into firewood. No matter what you need this saw for, you’ll absolutely be blown away by the amount of power this compact unit holds.
- Backed by a 2-year warranty
- Comes with high-quality carrying case
- Tool-free access to filter and spark plug
- The effective anti-vibration system reduces fatigue
- Quick-start technology for efficient pull-starts
11. Husqvarna 24 Inch Gas Chainsaw
- Specifically developed for safety and high productivity
- Lightweight design for ease of use and transport
- Reduced wear and tear for long-lasting durability
- High-quality construction from a well-known brand
- Optimized center plate design for stability and centering
12. Dolmar Chainsaw
- Low emissions and 20% less fuel consumption
- Features a large fuel tank that gives 30 minutes of operation
- Extremely powerful engine with high torque
- Intake centrifugal air pre-cleaning system reduces dirt particles
- Toolless access for easy filter change and cleaning
13. Echo Professional Chainsaw
- 50cc engine, premium-grade 2 stroke engine
- Professional chainsaw with a 20-inch bar
- Side access chain tensioner for ease of use
- Clutch-driven oiler and reduced effort starter
- Easy access, heavy-duty air filter prolongs unit life
14. Husqvarna 20 Inch Gas Chainsaw
- Delivers significantly lower fuel consumption
- Air cleaning systems help remove larger dirt particles from the air filter
- Smart start engine for easier, simpler starting with less effort
- Snap-lock cylinder cover for easy access when cleaning
- Impressive maximum power speed of 9,000 rpm
15. Makita Chainsaw
- Easy-start spring-assisted starter for quick start using less force
- Powerful engine for improved fuel efficiency and lower consumption
- Improved durability and lightweight thanks to magnesium housing
- Heavy-duty, high-performance cartridge air filter for extended life
- 13,000 rpm with extremely fast acceleration provides more efficient performance
16. Jonsered Gas Chainsaw
- Clean power technology engines reduce exhaust emissions by 75%
- Unique turbo intake air cleaning technology for optimal performance
- Insulated chainsaw handles for lower vibrations and reduced fatigue
- Quick-release snap-lock cylinder covers for quick access to spark plug and filter
- Tool-free side-mounted tensioner to adjust chain quickly and easily
17. Oregon Electric Chainsaw
- Unique and convenient self-sharpening PowerSharp system
- Low-maintenance blade backed by two-year consumer warranty
- Powerful engine, Integrated chain brake designed for optimal safety
- Ergonomic design for lightweight balance and lower vibration
- Reduced kickback and tool-less chain tensioning system
18. Zombi Electric Chainsaw
- 58V 4Ah battery for dependable and efficient performance
- Comes with a 5-year warranty from the manufacturer
- Low kickback 16-inch bar and chain
- Includes chainsaw tool in a built-in compartment
- Equipped with handguard, chain brake, auto-oiling, and indicator reservoir
Things To Consider When Buying A Professional Chainsaw
There are quite a few factors that you need to consider when choosing the best professional chainsaw. We’ve listed the most important ones below for you to consider. Take a look at each and then decide on the right chainsaw for your needs according to all the different factors.
As a professional, you need a chainsaw that will be able to handle more serious workloads. You obviously want a powerful tool that will be able to slice through even tough conditions with ease. You’ll find cordless and electric chain saws out there.
However, for extremely heavy-duty work, gas-powered chainsaws typically perform better. This is why the first thing for you to consider is the chain saw engine as well as the amount of power that it delivers. When cutting down large trees, sewing through thick hardwood, and so on, you definitely need a tool with adequate power output such as that offered by gas-powered chainsaws.
A chainsaws power output is measured in cc. This means the higher the cc the chainsaw has the more power it offers. As a general rule, chainsaws used for professional work typically range between 35 to 80cc of power.
So while someone who’s cutting down small trees might find a model at the lower end of the spectrum adequate for their needs, if you’re doing heavy-duty work you will likely need a model on the higher end.
2. Bar Length
A chainsaw bar is that long part that protrudes from the body and secures the chain. Whenever you’re using your chainsaw to harvest wood, you really don’t want to have to do one task for hours. Slow cutting speeds are time-consuming and even more importantly, slow cutting speeds wear both you and your tool down.
When you have a chainsaw with slow cutting speed, it not only saps you of your energy but it also shortens your tool’s lifespan significantly. This is why you need to take into consideration what type of work you’re going to be performing before choosing the right chainsaw for the job.
The first thing to think about is the average with any trees you intend to cut. So for instance, if you are going to be cutting down 60-foot high sycamores, you are obviously going to need a much longer bar length than if you are felling 8-inch diameter trees.
You can choose a smaller sized chainsaw which can easily handle this task by offering you a much larger cutting capacity as well as a higher performance. Consider the chainsaw’s bar length carefully. The longer the bar on the chainsaw, the deeper and faster that chain is going to cut.
You’ll find models that offer chainsaw bar lengths that range from 10 inches to 24 inches. You may find that chainsaws with bar lens up to 18 or so are capable of handling average-sized workloads, but for the really thick cuts, you may need to choose a model that measures closer to the 24-inch mark.
3. Ease of Use
Chainsaws are extremely powerful tools that can also prove to be very dangerous. You need to ensure that the model you purchased is the ideal size and weight for your needs. If you buy a chainsaw that is too heavy for you to handle, or one that feels awkward or off-balance, you may increase your risk of getting injured while using the tool.
Trying to combat issues like these will take its toll on your body, and even worse, the motions in your arms and body can eventually lead to serious injury. In order to prevent this, make sure you look for a model that’s not too heavy to handle. You also need one that’s centered and balanced during use.
Of course, if you are buying a chainsaw online, this may be very hard to gauge. But luckily, there are tons of online reviews from other customers, depending on which tool you decide to buy. Read through these reviews to find out what other users are saying about that particular chainsaw.
Another feature to look out for is ergonomic handles which will allow you to not only maintain a firm, comfortable grip on your tool but also help to reduce hand fatigue particularly if you will be using your chainsaw for long periods of time.
If you’ll be felling trees for hours every day, you’ll quickly come to appreciate an ergonomic handle as it will undoubtedly boost your efficiency, allowing you to maintain much better control of your power tool which leads to quicker and more precise cutting.
4. Maintenance and Care
As you well know, the better care you take of your tools the longer they will last, and the better the will perform over time. You need to choose a chainsaw that is easy for you to maintain and one that has minimal wear and tear as this can significantly reduce the life of your professional powerhouse.
The good news is that a lot of the products on our list are designed and built with extreme productivity in mind. Not only can they be disassembled quickly and easily for proper maintenance but you’re also able to swap out damaged or worn out parts then reassemble the tool easily so you can get right back to work.
Types of Chainsaws
The type of chain saw that you ultimately decide to go with will depend a lot on the kind of work you want to do. But whether you want a chainsaw for domestic work or if you want a hard-wearing unit, the main thing is to ensure that the tool you choose is cost-efficient and satisfies all your work requirements. Listed below are the different types of chainsaws that you have available to choose from.
These types of chainsaws are ideal for people who don’t want to have to deal with cords or fuel expenses. They are adaptable to smaller tasks and their batteries have a voltage which tells you how much power you can expect from that tool.
The higher the voltage of the batteries, the more power you’ve got to work with. As a general rule, manufacturers use lithium-ion batteries since they charge a lot faster and offer more compact energy. Some models have NiCad batteries which are a lot less expensive. These types of batteries function great except that they take much longer to recharge.
2. Gas or Fuel-Based
Unlike the lightweights mentioned above, these models constitute the alphas in terms of the level of power that they possess. Fuel-based chainsaws have been around for quite a while and they are still as popular today as ever.
For people who have affordable fuel sources, this option is a great one to consider if you have a lot of heavy work to get through. The output of a fuel-based chainsaw is determined by its capacity which is measured in cc (cubic centimeters).
These models typically come in sizes that are much smaller than petrol counterparts. However, they are capable of undertaking much larger workloads. To determine how strong a particular unit is, you can look at its amperage.
A higher amperage means more power at your disposal. These types of chainsaws are also great for the environment since they don’t produce any emissions. They do have a massive drawback in that you cannot continue to work if the lights go out since the machine needs to be plugged in at all times.
How to Maintain a Professional Chainsaw
A good maintenance routine will ensure that you get the most out of your professional chainsaw. Depending on which brand you choose to purchase, every manufacturer has their own specific instructions on how best to take care of your particular model.
However, as a general rule, you cannot go wrong by focusing on the following steps:
- Read the manual before using your unit for the first time to ensure that you always know what it needs in order to function at its optimal level.
- Don’t mix engine oil with another substance such as gasoline since the two are meant for vastly different purposes.
- In order to prevent damage to the engine over time, always make sure you confirm the engine oil to gasoline ratio.
- For units that have a two-stroke engine, always make sure that you buy two-stroke engine oil specifically in order to avoid mishaps.
- Always mix the gasoline and engine oil well prior to refueling your unit.
- If you intend to keep your gasoline/oil mixture for more than three months, always use a fuel stabilizer to prevent the unit from getting damaged by oil deposits.
- For anyone who is not sure about how to mix the oil properly, it’s a good idea to consider buying premixed gasoline and engine oil that’s meant for the chainsaw.
Safety Tips on Using a Professional Chainsaw
To help you stay safe while using your chainsaw, here are some safety tips for you to follow. Read them carefully and you’ll be able to save yourself and others around you countless trips to the emergency room.
- Always wear protective gear such as glasses and gloves. This helps to protect you from flying debris such as splinters of wood. Make sure you wear clothes that fit well because loose clothing may get caught or snagged easily in the machine.
- Don’t leave your chainsaw unattended while it’s on and running. It’s possible for the unit to experience kickback which could ultimately harm people in the vicinity.
- Always ensure that you have enough centering and balance whenever you use your chainsaw to avoid dropping it, tripping, or falling over it – all of which could result in grave injuries.
- Make sure the chain is installed properly on the bar. This helps to prevent chain kickback which could hit you or others in the wrong place.
- Don’t use the unit with a blunt chain because this stresses the engine which may cause the chainsaw to overheat or shut down.
- Choose a unit that has anti-vibration features as this helps to combat various health problems that often arise from using vibrating tools over lengthy periods of time.
- Make sure the unit you go with has anti-kickback chains to help you avoid frequent kickbacks.
- Don’t point your chainsaw to any hard surfaces because the kickback will be worse than when cutting through wood.
- It’s always a good idea to look for a saw that has a lockout because then the unit won’t be accidentally triggered since both hands have to be on deck to turn it on.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions About Professional Chainsaw
Q-1: Which Is the Best Professional Chainsaw?
- Choosing the best chainsaw for your needs comes down to a number of different factors, such as size, capability, performance, budget, and so on. There’s a lot for you to consider before you hone in on the ideal tool for your needs.
- Also, you have to consider the type of wood you’ll be cutting, as well as the number of hours you’ll be working each day. This also plays a massive role in the type of chainsaw you choose.
- Luckily, we’ve included all the information you need to help you make the right choice in this article. You’ll be able to use it as your resource to determine which chainsaw is the right one for your needs from among the many models that are available to you right now. And to make your job even easier, we’ve also included a list of 10 of the most popular options you’ll find on the market right now.
Q-2: How Do I Know When It’s Time to Sharpen My Chain?
- It’s very easy to know when your chain needs sharpening because when it’s dull, it will force you to use more effort when cutting and it also spits out fine dust as opposed to larger woodchips. Whenever you notice either of these two things happening, you know it’s time to take the chain off of your tool and sharpen it or replace it.
- This is the only way to guarantee that your chainsaw continues to perform at its best as well as to ensure your safety and a longer lifespan for your tool. Not using a sharp blade will not only slow down your chainsaw’s performance but it will also take forever for you to cut through even the smallest bits of wood.
- This also causes premature wear and tear on your tool and poses a serious safety hazard. That’s why it’s vital to always ensure that your chain is sharpened at all times.
Q-3: Which Chainsaw to Professional Loggers Use?
- There’s a vast difference between DIY enthusiasts and professional loggers when it comes to the type of chainsaw that they use. If you’re going to be cutting dozens of trees each and every day, you’re going to need an extremely reliable saw that can be used for hours every day.
- Because of this, most professionals recommend gas-powered chainsaws that are designed to enhance durability and comfort. On our review list of the 10 best professional chainsaw models on the market right now, we’ve included that exact type of so which comes with increased power, and extra safety features.
Q-4: How Do I Know Which Chainsaw Is Right for Me
- Since you’re reading this article, we’re going to assume that you’re not looking for your run-of-the-mill domestic chainsaw. To know which type of professional chainsaw you need, take a look at our buying guide as well as all the other informative sections in this article so that you know which power, speed, durability, etc. you need.
- It’s pretty simple and easy to determine the right chainsaw for your needs. For instance, say you intend to trim branches and cut down smaller trees, then a chainsaw that has a 12-18-inch guide bar and 30 to 40cc of power will do great. However, if you intend to chew up massive trees quickly and safely, you may be looking at a chainsaw with a 20-24-inch guide bar and at least 50cc of power.
Q-5: Why Is a Safe-T-Tip Feature Necessary
- The Safe-T-Tip feature is basically a plastic cover that sits on the chainsaw blade. It does not inhibit the movement of the blade in any way, but it does help to keep your hands from getting hurt in case the blades bounce upward.
- This is an absolutely useful feature, particularly for young and inexperienced chainsaw operators. Chainsaws are extremely powerful tools, and it’s very easy for one to get away from its users because of the fast-moving blades.
- This feature is one that will save you from a lot of accidental cuts during chainsaw use. Once you’ve grown used to using a chainsaw and you’re more comfortable when it comes to controlling its blade, you can then graduate to using chainsaws without this feature.
As you can see, there’s a lot that goes into choosing the best professional chainsaw for your needs. Use the information in this useful review and buying guide article to help you make a perfect choice. Also, keep in mind any additional features that may come in handy for the type of work you do.
On our review list, we’ve included many different designs and styles of chainsaws, each of which has some unique features that different types of wood fellers will come to appreciate. And the best part is, all the high-quality models are from well-known brands and they are offered at extremely affordable prices!