Last Updated on
Maybe you’ve purchased a Jeep to fulfill your off-road fantasies or are a Jeep owner that’s seen a modified Jeep that took your breath away. Whatever your motivation, it is only natural to want to transform your Jeep. With this in mind, we created this Best Jeep Bumpers review and buying guide to help you get started.
Upgrading your Jeep’s stock OEM bumper with a steel one raises your vehicle’s ground and tire clearance resulting in better wheel articulation when off-roading. On top of enhanced off-road capabilities, a new steel bumper exposes your Jeep’s wheels to give it a cool, muscular and menacing stance.
Top 10 Best Jeep Bumpers: At A Glance
|1. EAG 07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK Off-road Front Bumper|
|2. Smittybilt XRC Gen 2 Front Bumper|
|3. EAG 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ Front Bumper|
|4. Restyling Factory - Black Textured Front Bumper|
|5. Razer Auto Black Textured Rock Crawler Front Bumper|
|6. Smittybilt 76810 XRC Front Bumper|
|7. Havoc Offroad GEN 2 Wrecking Ball Front Bumper|
|8. EAG 07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK Front Bumper|
|9. AUTOSAVER88 07-16 Jeep Wrangler JK Front Bumper|
|10. Razer Auto Front Bumper|
One thing to keep in mind is that getting your jeep to look like your dream vehicle is a long process that involves a lot of time, money and effort. However, you have to start somewhere, and you might as well start with your front bumper.
- 10 Best Jeep Bumpers Review:
- 1. EAG 07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK Off-road Front Bumper
- 2. Smittybilt XRC Gen 2 Front Bumper
- 3. EAG 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ Front Bumper
- 4. Restyling Factory – Black Textured Front Bumper
- 5. Razer Auto Black Textured Rock Crawler Front Bumper
- 6. Smittybilt 76810 XRC Front Bumper
- 7. Havoc Offroad GEN 2 Wrecking Ball Front Bumper
- 8. EAG 07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK Front Bumper
- 9. AUTOSAVER88 07-16 Jeep Wrangler JK Front Bumper
- 10. Razer Auto Front Bumper
- Buying Guide: Things to Consider When Selecting Jeep Bumpers
- Installation of Jeep Bumpers
- Frequently Asked Questions About Jeep Bumpers:
- Q-1: Can Jeep front bumpers TJ be used in Wrangler JK models?
- Q-2: Can these bumpers be installed in both 2-door and 4-door Jeeps?
- Q-3: What standard accessories and equipment can I expect when I purchase a Jeep front bumper?
- Q-4: Do these bumpers come equipped with a winch?
- Q-5: Can I install the bumpers by myself?
- Q-6: What materials are these bumpers made of?
- Q-7: Do I have to get rid of my front parking sensors when I install a new bumper?
10 Best Jeep Bumpers Review:
1. EAG 07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK Off-road Front Bumper
The E-Auto grilles front bumper is a stylishly designed front-end part that will prove to be more than just an auto embellishment – it will also earn you extra points for safety on the road. It was tactfully made to be a direct bolt-on solution for trail headed jeeps. It fits 2007-2018 Jeep Wrangler JK models, save for the 2017 JK Rubicon Recon Model.
This jeep JK stubby bumper comes with various features that off-roaders come to appreciate. Included in this front bumper is a grille guard hoop, as well as 2 high-strength D-ring mounts. With this all-in-1 front bumper, you are sure to enjoy rugged protection and easy recovery operations wherever you go.
The EAG front bumper is also an excellent pick for night-time trail runners, as it comes with OE sized fog light mounting points that enable you to effortlessly swop your vehicle’s factory fog lights. The integrated grille guard hoop features 2 mounting points that can be used to mount circular auxiliary lights. For the money, this front bumper will look great on your ride for far less than the big name brands.
- Fits 2007-2018 Jeep Wrangler JK Models
- Easy and direct bolt-on installation, with all the relevant hardware and instructions included.
- Features a heavy duty construction that combines 5/32-inch thick mild steel sheet and 2-inch x 0.120-inch steel tubing for superior strength and durability.
- Coated in a high quality textured powder to provide protection against corrosion.
- Front bumper is outfitted with 9,500 lb. rated D-Rings on sturdy mounts and a rigid tube over rider with extra light accommodations.
- Features a built-in winch plate, which is capable of hold up a 12,000 lb. winch.
- Features OE size fog light housing
2. Smittybilt XRC Gen 2 Front Bumper
If you are thinking about adding a new heavy duty bumper to your jeep, the Smittybilt XRC Gen2 front bumper is certainly a good pick. This front bumper, which is one of the all-new XRC jeep wrangler bumpers, reveals a totally innovative design with more aggressive styling and heavy-duty features that give you the ultimate protection for off-roading and rock crawling. This sturdy and durable front bumper is devised to fit all 2007-2018 Jeep JK Wranglers.
The Smittybilt XRC Gen2 front bumper is made of 3/16″ cold rolled steel and then mechanically welded to precise specifications. The welds have been ground down, smoothed out, and coated in a 2-stage matte black finish. Also welded both in the internal and external sides are a jack point mount and D-ring mounts.
Featured on this front stinger is a 1-3/4″ tubing complete with light tabs that can hold a maximum of two 9-inch lights. This bumper is also winch-ready and is capable of carrying a winch with a rating of up to 10K lbs. It has a conveniently lowered winch plate to allow for better airflow to the radiator.
- Perfect fit for all 2007-2018 Jeep JK Wranglers
- Made using 3/16″ Cold Rolled Steal that makes the bumper sturdy and durable
- 2-stage textured matte black finish that’s sure to complement any vehicle
- High-degree angle and elevated corners for better entrance and outlet angles and to maximize ground clearance in extreme conditions
- Jack point mount and Solid D-ring mounts welded both inside and outside
- The bumper is winch ready and can support winches with up to 10k lbs. rating
- Stumpy design winch plate to allow for better airflow to the radiator
- Front Stinger has a 1-3/4″ tubing with light tabs that can hold two 9-inch lights
3. EAG 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ Front Bumper
If you own a 1997-2006 Jeep TJ Wrangler, this specific front bumper will do. It comes with an array of features that present jeep owners with modern trend-setting styling at a very affordable price. This is one bumper that can give your jeep serious protection without compromising its good looks.
The EAG 97-06 front bumper features a heavy-duty, one-piece design that’s made to endure any obstacle that gets in its way. Besides providing the serious reinforcement you need for your jeep, this smartly designed bumper is also sleek enough to give your jeep a very stylish look.
Like other jeep front bumpers from EAG, this specific model is designed to be a direct bolt-on upgrade. It’s pretty easy to install as it doesn’t require cutting or drilling. With just a few basic hand tools, you will be set for a quick and hassle-free installation.
- Designed to work well with all 1997-2006 Jeep TJ Wrangler models
- Made from 5/32″ cold rolled steel sheet that makes it sturdy and durable
- Features 2″X0.12″ steel tubing
- 1-piece welded design for ultimate resilience and strength
- Coated in a textured black finish for protection against corrosion and durability
- D-ring mounts welded both on the interior and exterior sides for increased strength
- Comes with D-rings that have a capacity of 4.75 ton each
- Integrated winch plate that can hold up a winch with capacity up to 12,000 lbs.
- The hoop is welded to offer maximum protection to the front side of the jeep
- 2 tabs on a pre-runner hoop that allows for additional off-road lights
- Easy installation that doesn’t require drilling or cutting
4. Restyling Factory – Black Textured Front Bumper
This off-road front bumper has been designed and tested to withstand the harshest of environments. It offers a heavy duty design with maximum coverage, yet it is sleek enough to keep your jeep well protected even in the most extreme conditions. This front bumper is designed to fit all 07-18 jeep wrangler JK models.
Made from heavy-duty 5/32” steel sheet and 2″x0.12″ steel tubing, the Restyling Factory – Black textured front bumper is meant to be as protective as it is stylish. It is coated in a textured black powder finish that helps with corrosion protection and for durability. It boasts a direct bolt-on design that makes its installation a one-man job.
The Restyling Factory Black Textured front bumper comes with two D-rings that have a capacity of 4.75 ton each Both D-ring mounts are welded on the inside as well as on the outside. Also included is a built plate that is capable of supporting most of the 12,000 lb winches.
- Made for all 2007 to 2018 jeep wrangler JK models
- Made from heavy-duty 5/32” steel, as well 2″x0.12″ steel tubing, thus sturdy and resilient
- D-rings are welded both on the interior and exterior
- Comes with a built-in winch plate capable of holding up to 12,000 lb. winch
- Coated in a tiger textured black powder that helps prevent corrosion and to maximize the product’s lifespan
5. Razer Auto Black Textured Rock Crawler Front Bumper
Right off the bat, the first impression you get when you open this well-packaged Razor is the top-notch quality of the bumper. The bumper is made of steel and has a nice weight to it which gives the impression that it is sturdy. But that’s not all, the finishing of this bumper is just as impressive. It is coated with a black powder that not only looks cool but also protects the bumper from corrosion.
If you can’t wait to get the bumper on your jeep, you’ll be glad to learn that its installation is a breeze if you have the proper tools. What’s more, this bumper is made to fit on all Jeep Wrangler JK models from the year 2007 to 2018. If your Wrangler JK is from these years, installation is pretty straightforward. You don’t need to cut or drill holes in your Wrangler or bumper to fit it. Simply secure a few bolts, and you are ready to go.
All things considered, this is one of the best Jeep Wrangler Bumpers JK. By itself, this bull bar will transform the look of your Wrangler from handsome to aggressive. You can even go the extra mile and install a winch to enhance your Jeep’s look further and to help you get out of tricky situations in your off-road excursions. Its built-in winch plate can support a 12000-pound winch. When installing this bumper, ensure you install a skid plate under it to protect the underbelly of your Jeep and to give it a cleaner look. Also, this bumper comes equipped with a fog light housing where you can fit bright off-road lights.
- Fit: 2007-2018 Jeep JK Wrangler all models
- Bumper Size: 65″ width and 22″ height
- Rugged appearance with maximum tire clearance
- Materials: 5/32″ Steel Sheet with a black powder coat to protect against corrosion
- Two 4.75 ton D-Rings
- Built-in Winch plate that can support a 12000lb winch
- OEM Fog Light Housing
6. Smittybilt 76810 XRC Front Bumper
The Smittybilt 76810 XRC is specially designed for all modern Jeep Cherokee SJ models. It is designed to offer your Cherokee maximum ground and tire clearance for your off-road adventures. But how is this product like? Well, the first thing you notice with this bumper is its substantial weight, which is an indication that it’s well-built. Its weight comes from its heavy-duty steel construction which is built to withstand the toughest of off-road terrains.
What’s more, the finish of this bumper is just as impressive as its sturdy steel build. The black textured coating looks cool, feels pleasant to touch and also protects the steel bumper from corrosion. The bumper is also fitted with two light tabs where you can install up to 9-inch lights to give you maximum illumination in your wild off-road adventures.
On top of enhancing your Jeep’s look, the Smittybilt 76810 XRC bull bar is an essential component to have in your Jeep when you get stuck in the jungle. Your off-road buddies can attach tow cables on its Solid D-ring mounts to get you out of trouble. But that’s not all; you can install a 15000-pound winch on the bumper to help you get out of impassable 4WD tracks.
- Materials: 3/16 inch cold rolled steel and 1.75-inch steel tubing
- Wide winch plate for winch installation
- 2 Solid D-ring mounts
- Two light housing tabs for bright off-road lighting
- Built in winch plate
- Finish: Corrosion resistant black texture
- Item Weight: 124 pounds
- Item Dimensions: 70.8 x 23.3 x 113.4 inches
7. Havoc Offroad GEN 2 Wrecking Ball Front Bumper
Why is the Havoc Off-road GEN 2 considered as one of our favorite Jeep Wrangler bumpers on sale today? Well, for starters, its half-length size serves two purposes; enhancing look and off-road capabilities. This mid-width front bumper was christened “the wrecking ball bumper” as it only occupies the middle part of your Wrangler. This exposes your beefy off-road tires to give your Wrangler an extra aggressive look.
The Havoc Off-road GEN 2 is also without a doubt one of the best Wrangler bumpers for off-road enthusiasts. Again, this has to do with its size and positioning. As expected it raises the ground clearance of your Jeep, and its compact nature means that there is less of material in your way when rock crawling and doing other wild off-road challenges.
The best thing about the Havoc Off-road GEN 2 bumper is that its mid-width size does not affect the number of features you can install on it. As you would expect in a proper off-roading bumper, this bumper comes equipped with solid D-ring mounts and a winch plate that can house a 12000-pound winch to get you out of any sticky situations. I would recommend this wrecking ball bumper to any off-road enthusiasts that own modern Jeep JK Wranglers and are regulars in off-road parks and 4WD trails.
- Mid Width front bumper that’s ideal for rock crawling
- Material: high-strength steel tubing
- Finishing: textured black powder coat that protects against corrosion and UV damage
- Mounting tabs allow the addition of off-road lights
- Compatible with factory OEM fog lights
- Winch plate that can accommodate a 12000-pound winch
- Item Weight: 74 pounds
- Item Dimensions: 64 x 10 x 8 inches
8. EAG 07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK Front Bumper
Next on our comprehensive list is the EAG 07-18 front bumper. Like the wrecking ball bumper featured above, this Jeep JK stubby bumper is most suitable for Wrangler owners that spend a lot of time in 4WD trails. Since this bumper is shorter than a standard full-length bumper, it opens up your approach angle when doing wild off-road challenges such as rock crawling. As with most off-road bumpers, your vehicle will get a cool, menacing look when you install this bumper.
As its name suggests, the EAG 07-18 is designed for all models of Jeep Wrangler JK models of year 2007 to 2018. With proper tools, installation of this bumper is a breeze. No cutting, drilling or any modification is required. All you are required to do is take off your stock OEM bumper and secure this steel bumper in place with bolts in its factory mounting points. With the right tools and help, this job can be completed within two hours.
What’s more, this EAG 07-18 stubby front bumper comes with various types of plates, mounts, and housing that support the installation of additional features. You can install a 12000-pound winch on the bumper to bail you out when your Wrangler gets stuck in muddy puddles or swampy terrain. And if you are yet to install a winch, this bumper has two4.75 ton capacity D-ring shackles on standby in case your Wrangler JK need to be towed.
- Stubby front bumper provides maximum approach angle and tire clearance.
- Fit: all 2007-2018 Jeep Wrangler JK models.
- Material: 2 3/8″ x .120 wall steel tubing and 5/32″ steel sheet.
- Finish: Textured black powder coat for durability.
- Winch tray that supports up to 12,000-pound winches.
- Two D-ring mounts with two 4.75 ton capacity D-ring shackles
- OE size fog light housing and two pre-runner hoops for extra off-road lights.
- Easy bolt-on installation.
- Item Weight: 56 pounds
- Product Dimensions: L 48.62″ x W 10.28″ x H 17.76″.
9. AUTOSAVER88 07-16 Jeep Wrangler JK Front Bumper
If you are into extreme off-road challenges, the AUTOSAVER88 bumper should serve you well. This front bumper is designed for all Jeep JK Wrangler models from the year 2007 to 2016. When you beef up your Wrangler with the AUTOSAVER88 bumper, you will be able to crawl the largest rocks with great ease. Why? This bumper provides your Jeep with maximum wheel articulation and increased ground clearance to avoid large rocks.
Also, because of its top-notch quality, the AUTOSAVER88 bumper can take a beating without getting damaged. It’s made of high-strength steel that can withstand massive impact from rocks and still offer maximum protection to the vital engine components in your Jeep’s underbelly. What’s more, this bumper is coated in a black powder paint to protect it from corrosion and harmful UV rays.
Like you would expect in a proper off-road bumper, you can attach a power winch on this steel bumper. You can install a 12000-pound winch on this particular bumper to drag your Wrangler out of sticky situations. The AUTOSAVER88 bumper is also fitted with two fog light housing and two pre-runner hoops for installing extra off-road lights.
- Fit: All models of Jeep JK Wranglers (2007 to 2016)
- Construction: heavy-duty steel plates and tubing
- Built-in winch plate that supports a 12,000-pound winch
- Finish: Textured black powder coat for durability.
- Easy bolt-on installation
- Item Weight: 86 pounds
- Item Dimensions:64 x 17 x 14 inches
10. Razer Auto Front Bumper
Last but not least is the Razor Auto bumper. This is the second bumper from this brand to feature on our list, and just like the first variant, this Razor Auto is optimized for rock crawling. As expected, this particular Razor Auto bumper shares some features with its earlier mentioned variant. For this reason, I will power through its main features and characteristics.
This steel bumper is specially designed to fit the front of all 2007-2018 Jeep JK Wrangler models. With the right tools and help, installation is straightforward and should take more than 2 hours. If you are going for a new look, you will be glad to learn that the installation will completely transform your Wrangler. This bumper lifts your Jeep’s ground clearance and exposes its front wheels to give it a cool, menacing look.
The first thing you notice about when you unwrap this bumper is that it is stubby. This characteristic enhances your Jeep’s rock crawling capabilities by increasing its ground clearance and allowing maximum wheel articulation.
The strength of this bumper allows your Jeep to excel in harsh off-road conditions. It’s fitted with high-strength D-ring mounts and shackles that can be used to tow your Jeep when it gets stuck. What’s more, this particular Razor Auto bumper supports many features. You get a winch plate that supports 12000-pound winches as well as housing and hoops for installing off-road lights.
- Fit: All 2007-2018 Jeep JK Wrangler models.
- Materials: high-strength 5/32 steel sheets for maximum protection.
- Finish: Black powder coat for maximum durability.
- Built-in winch tray that supports 12000-pound winches.
- Stubby bumper provides maximum ground clearance and wheel articulation.
- High-strength D-Ring mounts with two 4.75 Ton capacity D-Rings shackles.
- OE Fog Light Housing and two hoops for extra light installation.
- Simple bolt-on installation.
- Item Weight: 86 pounds.
- Item Dimensions:53 x 16 x 11 inches.
Buying Guide: Things to Consider When Selecting Jeep Bumpers
If you are not a keen observer, aftermarket Jeep bumpers may all look the same, but with keen observation, you start to notice differences in their build. You’ll notice that they differ in their design, length, features included, material and so on. With so many excellent brands and types of Jeep bumpers to choose from, here are some important things to consider when selecting a new bumper for your Jeep:
1. Bumper Weight
The weight of your bumper determines the overall quality of the bumper. It also affects the fuel consumption and off-road performance of your Jeep. A heavy bumper is great for off-roading but bad for your fuel consumption. A light bumper is great for fuel consumption but not suitable for off-roading.
2. Approach Angle
This is the angle between the furthest points of your front bumper to the front wheels. A wide approach angle means that your Jeep has a high ground clearance which makes it better for climbing steep hills and crawling over huge rocks.
3. Full Width vs. Mid Width vs. Stubby Bumpers
The width of bumpers refers to the length of the bumper across the front of the Jeep. Let’s look at the different appeals of these bumpers:
Full Width: These types of bumpers run from fender to fender and normally cover part of the tires. One advantage of these bumpers is that they shield the tires from low hanging branches and other objects that may puncture them. One disadvantage with these full-length bumpers is their weight.
Mid Width: As their name suggests, they are shorter than full-width bumpers. Their shorter length means they are lighter and improve the vehicle’s ground clearance. One disadvantage with mid-width bumpers is that they leave your jeep’s tires exposed.
Stubby: These types of bumpers are characterized by their short width. They only cover the area between a Jeep’s headlights. Stubby bumpers are lightweight and increase the approach angles of your Jeep. Like mid-width bumpers, stubby bumpers expose your Jeep’s tires to objects that may puncture them.
This comes down to your taste and personal preference. The stinger bumper is a popular choice for Jeep owners. Its name comes from its protruding design which makes the statement that your Jeep should not be messed with. If you want to go under the radar, you could go for a plain (reserved) tubular design bumper.
Here are some of the features that you might want in your new jeep bumper:
Bull-Bar Additions: On top of protecting your Jeep from external impact, bull bars add a bit of aggressiveness and menace to your Jeep’s looks.
Skid Plate Mounts: Bumpers that support the addition of skid plates are the best. The job of skid plates is to protect vital engine components in your Jeep’s underbelly from damage.
Grille Guards: Ensure that the bumper you are eyeing comes with a grille guard to protect your radiator from flying branches and other debris.
Winch Plate Mounts: If you are an off-roader, you might need a bumper that allows the installation of a winch. Look for winch plate mounts and determine the maximum tow capacity the bumper. Most bumpers support winches that have tow capacities between 10000 and 15000 pounds.
D-Ring Mounts and Shackles: These are hook attachments on the bumper where tow lines go when your Jeep gets stuck in the mud and other trouble situations.
Finish: Do you want a glossy, textured, matte or diamond plate coating? Whichever it is, make sure it protects the bumper from corrosion.
Light Housing: Make sure your front bumper has a light housing where you can attach OEM fog lights and hoop mounts where you can install extra lights for your off-road adventures.
The cost of Jeep bumpers depends on many factors. The brand, type of material used in its construction, and the accessories offered with the bumper affect the price. It is important to remember the most expensive bumper isn’t necessarily the best one for your Jeep. Therefore, determine what you need in your bumper, set a budget and look through the products of different brands to find the best deal.
Installation of Jeep Bumpers
This section looks at how to install a steel bumper jeep wrangler. It gives you step by step instructions to help you detach your Jeep’s stock OEM bumper and mount a new one. As you are about to see, this whole procedure is pretty straightforward. If you have time, you can install the bumper yourself as a DIY project and save the money you would have otherwise paid a professional to do. Without further ado, here are the tools you need and the steps to follow:
- Flathead and Phillips head screwdriver
- Socket extension bar
- 18 mm deep well socket
- 11/16 inch and 5/8 socket
- Flex Head Ratcheting Wrench
- Socket swivel attachment
- Needle Nose Pliers
- Socket wrench
- Small Pry Bar and Breaker bar to loosen bumper mount bolts
- Two jack stands
Step by Step Installation Instructions:
- Separate the splash guard from the bumper by removing the 6 pins holding them together
- Unplug the OEM fog lights by reaching inside the bumper, depressing the plastic catch and disconnecting the plastic plug from the light.
- Undo the eight 19mm nuts from the bumper to detach it from the support beam of the vehicle
- Remove the bumper by undoing the two push pins holding the top part of the bumper to the vehicle
- Use a Philips head screwdriver to loosen and remove the four screws on each fog light
- Mount the OEM fog lights on your new bumper. Most bumpers provide bolts and screws that allow you to secure the fog lights into the bumper’s housing.
- Align the bumper to the front of your jeep and secure it tightly to the frame using the supplied washers and nuts.
- Plug the fog light wiring and route the wire above the frame rail for a cleaner look.
Frequently Asked Questions About Jeep Bumpers:
Q-1: Can Jeep front bumpers TJ be used in Wrangler JK models?
- Yes, they can. This is because both models are Wranglers and as such have the same dimensions at the front end.
Q-2: Can these bumpers be installed in both 2-door and 4-door Jeeps?
- Yes. 2-door and 4-door Jeeps have the same dimensions at the front so the bumpers can be mounted on both types of vehicles.
Q-3: What standard accessories and equipment can I expect when I purchase a Jeep front bumper?
- Most bumpers come equipped with attachment tools that include screws, bolts, nuts, and washers as well as a lighting kit that includes LED lights, wiring harness, and a toggle switch.
Q-4: Do these bumpers come equipped with a winch?
- Unfortunately, most brands don’t include a winch when you purchase their bumpers. However, most bumpers come equipped with high-strength D-Ring mounts and shackles that allow your Jeep to be towed.
Q-5: Can I install the bumpers by myself?
- Yes, you can. The task is quite straightforward, and with the right tools, you can install the bumpers in under two hours.
Q-6: What materials are these bumpers made of?
- Most bumpers are made out of high-strength steel and coated with powder paint to protect the steel from corrosion.
Q-7: Do I have to get rid of my front parking sensors when I install a new bumper?
- Most front bumpers are not built to support front parking sensors, but you can retain your sensors by doing some modifications to the bumper.
There you have it folks, the 2018 buying guide, and review of the best Jeep front bumpers. As someone who’s completed this project, I understand all concerns and decided to address them in this guide to make your work easier.
Personally, one of the main challenges I faced was selecting the correct bumper for my Jeep from the many brands that are currently on the market. Fortunately for you, you won’t suffer as I have addressed this issue and many other issues that you may encounter when upgrading your Jeep’s front bumper. I hope you enjoyed it and found it insightful.