There are a lot of different ways that you can use to keep your yard or garden looking great, but one of the most convenient tools you can employ is an electric weed eater. In this article, we take a look at all the information you need to help you select the best electric weed eater that will help you cut back those stubborn weeds with ease.
We have devices from different manufacturers that are designed to suit your needs whether you have a large yard or small garden. We’ve included models of the highest quality that offer the most affordable solutions you’ll find anywhere.
As a homeowner, your home is one of the most valuable assets you’ll ever own and it only makes sense that you want to get the best tools that will help you maintain its appearance and value. So without further ado, let’s get right to our list of the best electric weeding tools available on the market right now.
- Best Electric Weed Eaters: Editor’s Top Picks
- Types of Weed Eaters
- Things to Consider When Buying An Electric Weed Eater
- Top 10 Best Electric Weed Eaters Reviews:
- 1. Dewalt Brushless Trimmer
- 2. Black & Decker String Trimmer
- 3. Greenworks PRO Cordless Trimmer
- 4. Black & Decker String Trimmer GH900
- 5. WORX Powershare String Trimmer
- 6. Makita Li-Ion String Trimmer
- 7. Black and Decker Trimmer/Edger
- 8. Greenworks 14-inch String Trimmer
- 9. Remington Lasso Trimmer/Edger
- 10. Craftsman Electric String Trimmer
- Types of Weed Eater Head
- Why Do You Need An Electric Weed Eater?
- How to Use Electric Weed Eater Properly?
- FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions
Best Electric Weed Eaters: Editor’s Top Picks
Types of Weed Eaters
There are basically two types of weed eaters, electric, and gas. Let’s take a closer look at the two different types of weed eaters to determine the advantages and drawbacks of each.
- Gas-Powered Weed Eaters
When it comes to sheer power and the ability to whack weeds, nothing compares to the cutting power offered by a gas-powered weed eater. That’s why professional landscapers often prefer gas over electric weed eaters.
In addition to offering more power, these types of weed eaters also provide unlimited time and reach, which makes them ideal if you have a large area of weeds to clear. So if you have a small yard, an electric weed eater will work perfectly for you. Whereas if you are looking at a large field filled with tough weeds and scrub, then you’re probably better off with a gas-powered weed eater.
- Electric Weed Eaters
For the vast majority of people, electric weed eaters are ideal for the types of jobs they do around the home. They are a lot easier to use when compared to their gas counterparts. They have enough power for trimming and edging the lawn, and they will control most weeds that usually spring up around the garden or yard.
In addition to that, electric trimmers have zero emissions and they create a lot less noise pollution. This is of great benefit to you and your neighbors, as well as the environment. Electric weed eaters can come in both corded and cordless versions.
Corded Electric Weed Eaters – The corded ones use a power cable and their very light since they contain no battery, gas tank, metal pistons, and so on. However, their main disadvantage is that the length of the cord limits how far you can use the tool. But, for those with small yards, this isn’t really a big problem.
Cordless Electric Weed Eaters – This is a battery-powered weed eater that offers a lot of conveniences. It’s lighter than the gas-powered versions and doesn’t produce any emissions at all. In addition to being safer than gas-powered trimmers, there’s also no cord that you have to drag all over the place, either.
This means that you can easily take this to wherever you need to do yard work. However, a cordless weed eater has the main disadvantage of strictly being a light-duty machine. You have to charge the battery fully after each use otherwise you run the risk of having it die out on you while you’re in the middle of completing your yard chores.
Things to Consider When Buying An Electric Weed Eater
Choosing the best electric weed eater isn’t as simple as popping into the hardware store and picking the first (or cheapest) model you see. The last thing you want is to spend your hard-earned money on a low-quality tool that will break after a few uses. Also, you want to ensure that the tool you buy has all the necessary features to take care of the type and size of the space you have in your home or business.
This is particularly true if you’ve never purchased an electric weed eater before. For first-time users, making the right choice can prove to be a little daunting. That’s why we’ve included this handy buying guide to help you determine the kind of factors that are important to you and then choose your tool accordingly.
So take a look at each of the factors below, and then make an informed decision before committing your dollars to buy this piece of equipment.
1. Power and Battery
When choosing an electric weed eater to use in your yard or garden, one of the first things you need to consider is the power output of the model you choose. Make sure you choose one with high amps if it’s a corded one, and if not, make sure your cordless weed eater has high-voltage batteries. The more power your tool has, the more efficiently it’s going to be able to cut through tough weeds and grass.
So take your time to compare and evaluate both corded and cordless trimmers before making your choice. So, for instance, if you have a small yard, you may find that accorded trimmer works well for you. However, for those with yards that a sizable, then a cordless weed eater might work better for you.
Using weed eaters with cables comes with the advantage that you never have to worry about replacing a battery or having one dying on you while you’re in the middle of neatening up your garden. On the other hand, a cordless weed eater has the advantage of offering you unlimited mobility. So make your choice according to which benefits appeal to you the most.
2. Trimmer Design
Ever since they came on the market, the design of these handy little tools keeps getting better and better. These days, some manufacturers make ergonomic handles that help to reduce hand fatigue while using the trimmer. Some designs also have evenly distributed mass, while others have excess weight near the top.
You need to choose a model that has controls that are smooth and easily accessible. Also, make sure the shaft is what transfers power to the lines cutting the grass from the motor. Electric weed eaters with straight shafts offer a significantly larger reach which makes your job a lot easier and quicker.
This type of shaft is also ideal for tall people as you will be able to easily and comfortably handle the tool. Models that have curved shafts are often lighter and more portable. Just ensure that your weed trimmer has an adjustable shaft length so you can customize it to the right height for you.
The weed eater’s overall weight is a factor that’s very important to consider because you don’t want a machine that will weigh you down, making your work harder than it needs to be. So don’t overlook this factor, otherwise, the next time you find yourself having to work for hours on a patch of land, your electric weed eater will be more cumbersome than helpful.
The good news is that there are a lot of lightweight models on our list of the best electric weed eaters out there.
4. String Features
Another important consideration is the string features. Make sure you can easily restring the trimmer you choose and that it has great line feed abilities. You also want to check how wide the cutting path is. Make sure its width is broad enough to clear a large area with one sweep while being narrow enough to be used in tight spaces.
A cutting path of about 13.5 inches is the average, but you can go higher or lower depending on your individual needs. While still on the subject of string features, check if your model has an even mix of both single and dual feed lines.
For most yard types, a single line head will do just fine. However, dual lines offer much more cutting power which means they come in handy if you are fighting tough weeds or grass.
The vast majority of high-quality trimmers from reputable brands will offer an extended warranty. The industry-standard warranty for most electric weed eaters is 12 months. Make sure the weed eater you choose either meets or exceeds the one-year standard. You also need to check that the manufacturer has reliable customer service and offers after-sale services.
Top 10 Best Electric Weed Eaters Reviews:
1. Dewalt Brushless Trimmer
This trimmer from DeWalt offers precise power control and a variable speed trigger function. It also has performance and run-time management featuring a high-low speed control switch. The brushless motor helps to maximize motor durability and efficiency. It has a patented gear design that provides a lot more torque while maintaining the cutting speed.
This machine comes with a dual 0.080-inch line that has a bump feed and clears 13 inches. It comes with a 5Ah lithium-ion battery included, as well as a charger, guard, auxiliary handle, and 0.080-inch line that is rewound in the spool.
Manufactured in China, this is the best cordless electric weed eater that you’ll get for the money. If you are in the market for a machine that will quickly and easily eat up all the weeds in your garden, this is a great one to consider.
It takes the cup in terms of power, trimmer design, spring features, and weight, and it even comes with a three-year limited warranty from the manufacturer. With the weight of just 14 pounds, you can be sure that no matter how large your backyard or garden is, you’ll be able to easily and conveniently take care of all those pesky weeds with this machine.
- The unit has variable speed control
- You can easily control the number of lines
- High-quality, long-lasting lithium-ion battery
- The device is easy to repair in case of a breakdown
- Patented gear drive design produces 6,000RPM
2. Black & Decker String Trimmer
This impressive device comes packed with a power drive transmission, as well as a 40V Max lithium-ion battery. The power-string weed eater boasts an incredible amount of muscle that will allow you to easily take on those tough weeds and stubborn overgrowth in your garden.
It has an automatic feed spool which means you can work continuously without bumping. Other components that come in the package include a fast charger, spool, guard, auxiliary handle, and a very detailed user instruction manual from the manufacturer.
According to a lot of online customer reviews from happy owners, this machine is arguably the best cordless weed eater for anyone looking for a powerful yet portable machine that has all the necessary features to take care of all your lawn maintenance needs.
With this weed eater, you’ll be able to get your job done a lot faster thanks to the additional power delivered by the power drive transmission. Also, you can easily convert it from a trimmer into an edger just by quickly turning the 52-inch shaft.
- Power drive transmission offers additional power
- 40V Max lithium-ion battery with a long run time
- Automatic feed spool for continuous working
- Quickly and easily converts into an edger
- Comes with a variable speed setting
3. Greenworks PRO Cordless Trimmer
This system from GreenWorks Pro comes with a range of commercial-grade features that are perfect for anyone who wants more power from their lawn trimming tool. It’s a 16-inch string trimmer that is powered by a high-grade Ah battery that charges in under an hour.
This system features a front-mount motor that offers versatile use. It’s lightweight and more convenient for use on larger properties as it reduces hand fatigue. It comes with a variable speed trigger which gives you the ultimate control when it comes to power on demand.
With the 16-inch cut path, your work will be done in no time at all. If you are searching for a cordless electric weed eater, then definitely take a look at this product offered by a reliable brand. When you buy this weed eater, you can be sure that you getting high-quality, great performance, and durability for an extremely affordable price.
It offers you power that is the equivalent of a 26cc gas engine. This is a feature that even professionals would greatly appreciate.
- Professional-quality brushless string trimmer
- Long-lasting for Ah battery with 45 minutes run time
- Features a wide16-inch cut path
- Ergonomic front mount for enhanced balance
- Short 30-minute rapid charge time
4. Black & Decker String Trimmer GH900
Built with an extremely lightweight and ergonomic design, this string trimmer from Black & Decker can also be used as an edger. It has an adjustable height as well as a pivoting handle which helps to give you maximum control and comfort during use.
It has a 6.5 amp motor and high torque transmission – both of which help to provide maximum performance whenever you’re trimming tough weeds. This weed eater will smoothly cut through all kinds of grass, overgrowth, and whatever else stands in the way of a perfect lawn.
With just a twist of the shaft, it easily transforms into an edger that will give you professional-looking results every time. It has a power drive transmission that helps to prevent the device from bogging down when cutting heavy weeds and grass.
The automatic feed system helps to ensure that you can work continuously without having to stop and feet the spool. For anyone searching for the best corded electric weed eater, this is undoubtedly one of the most reliable products you’ll find on the market right now.
- AFS automatic feed system for continual work
- High torque transmission for maximum performance
- Auxiliary handle, guard, and power source included
- Power drive transmission helps prevent bogging down
- Ergonomic pivoting handle with adjustable height
This cordless weed eater from Worx comes with a 20 V mark lithium-ion battery that delivers high levels of precision, function, and power. The battery has a longer run time which means that you can quickly and easily take care of larger areas without having to stop and recharge the battery frequently. It helps that this string trimmer has a 12-inch wide cutting diameter.
The weed eater also has an innovative command feed system that helps you keep moving productively on your lawn maintenance projects. You’ll also be able to make height adjustments easily thanks to the telescopic shaft design and the quick release trigger.
The trimmer converts into an edger in seconds by simply pulling and turning the lever. It has an adjustable space guard that helps to protect vegetation and also acts as a guide for your edger. So if you want an electric weed eater that will cut the effort and time that you spend on your garden or lawn in half, then this could be the best battery-powered weed eater for your needs.
- Dual-position wheels for two-in-one function
- High-power 20V Max lithium-ion battery
- 12-inch wide cutting diameter
- Instant line feeding for continuous work
- Easily adjustable telescopic shaft height
6. Makita Li-Ion String Trimmer
The cordless string trimmer from Makita comes with a high-quality 5Ah lithium-ion battery with a run time of up to an hour on a single charge. This is great news for anyone with a large yard as it means that you don’t have to encumber yourself with heavy, polluting gas-powered weed eaters or drag a cord all over your large backyard or garden.
This is an extremely versatile solution for your landscaping needs, and you’ll be able to cut and trim to your heart’s content without having to frequently stop for recharge. This brand has one of the world’s largest line-ups of cordless tools, and this weed eater is among the best that they have to offer.
It’s a handy little device that weighs just 6lbs which means that operator fatigue is greatly reduced, and you’ll be able to complete your yard work in no time at all. The telescopic shaft is adjustable to give you the optimum cutting position, and it also has a five-position pivoting head to adjust the cutting angle when you’re trimming in very tight spaces.
- Best electric weed eater cordless
- The motor provides 7,800RPM for faster cutting
- 5-position pivoting head adjusts the cutting angle
- Extremely lightweight and compact in size
- The telescopic shaft offers the optimum cutting position
7. Black and Decker Trimmer/Edger
This is an all-in-one mower, trimmer, and edger. This machine offers the ultimate when it comes to small yard versatility. It’ll leave your garden looking professionally maintained thanks to its varied landscape functionality. With this one compact tool, you’ll be able to take care of all your lawn maintenance needs.
Because of this weed eater’s small footprint design, it’s ideal for homes that have smaller yards as well as those with inclines and plenty of difficult-to-reach areas. This machine’s size also makes it a great addition to your gardening arsenal if you’re short of storage space.
This is the corded model that comes with a 6.5 amp motor and two height adjustment options to raise or lower the weed eater. It has a lightweight, ergonomic design with adjustable handle positions and heights.
If you are in the market for the best-rated electric weed eater, this one is worth trying out. It comes with all the components you need to start using it right away, including a spool of trimmer string, guard, auxiliary handle, power source, and a detachable mower deck.
- Automatic feed system for continual work with no bumping
- Gear drive transmission to prevent bogging down
- Easy conversion from a mower to trimmer to edger
- 5 amp motor for maximum performance
- 6-2.4 inch cutting height
8. Greenworks 14-inch String Trimmer
This 10 amp, 14-inch electric string trimmer has a straight shaft split boom. It has a variable trigger speed, which gives you ultimate control over your work. It has an attachment cable design that accepts various attachments from multiple brands, including YardWork, Trimmer Plus, and Ryobi.
For anyone who wants a high-quality corded string trimmer with a wide cutting path and powerful motor, you should certainly consider this product from GreenWorks. With the large 18-inch cutting path, you will be able to speed up your trimming process significantly.
The entire device is lightweight. It has a simple electric start as well as a cord-lock feature that helps to make it very easy to operate. You can be sure that won’t have to experience a lot of operator fatigue when you purchase and use this device. It has a cushion and an over-mold grip for comfort during use, and the auxiliary handle offers even more control during trimming.
- Best electric weed eater corded
- 10 amp power for ultimate performance
- Design capable of accepting attachments from multiple brands
- Lightweight and simple to use
- Cushioned over-mold grip for comfort
9. Remington Lasso Trimmer/Edger
This is a great product that will allow you to trim your lawn with confidence. The Remington Lasso trimmer/edger has a 14-inch dual-line auto-release head which uses a 0.065-inch line. It’s ideal for anyone who wants superior coverage and super quick trimming.
It’s designed for effectively trimming weeds and grass along driveways, flowerbeds, and fences. It has 180° rotating handle as well as an edger wheel that lets you trim quickly and neatly around obstacles. The device has a telescopic shaft that adjusts to suit different user heights. The shaft also collapses to allow for easy storage for those with limited space.
This weed eater comes with a two-year limited warranty from the manufacturer, which gives you the peace of mind of knowing that you’ve made a quality purchase that the manufacturer stands behind. If you are searching for the best electric corded weed eater, look no further because this would make an ideal option to suit your needs.
- Two-in-one edger and trimmer
- 180° rotating handle for efficient trimming
- 5 amp electric engine offers great performance
- 14-inch dual line with auto-release for superior coverage
- The telescopic shaft adjusts to suit different heights
10. Craftsman Electric String Trimmer
This electric-powered string trimmer has a 13-inch wide cutting path which makes short work of any patch of grass or weeds. It has an auto-feed feature that allows the cord to automatically come out whenever it gets too short, which means you don’t have to do anything in order to activate it.
This machine comes loaded and ready to go, but when you run out of string make sure that you wrap the replacement cords tightly on the spool in order for the auto-feed feature to work properly. According to many online reviews, this is a great 5 amp trimmer that works exactly as advertised.
It has rubberized grip surfaces and excellent adjustability of both the head and the angle of the handles. You can also adjust the length of the shaft to make the Craftsman weed eater more comfortable to operate. If you are searching for the best cheap electric weed eater, this is an ideal option to consider. It’s powerful, ergonomic, and offers great value for money.
- Single-line auto-feed feature
- Runs on a 0.065-inch diameter line
- Rubber grip for enhanced control
- Electric powered string trimmer
- Convenient 13-inch cutting width
Types of Weed Eater Head
Electric weed eater heads are divided into just three basic categories according to the design of the line feed. Let’s take a closer look at each of them:
- Bump Feed
The bump feed is a simplified technique that is derived from string advancement. It gives you control over how much line is used and in case of a breakdown, this type of electric weed eater is extremely easy and quick to repair. When used continuously, eventually the head wears out, which calls for a new replacement.
- Automatic Feed
The mechanism of an automatic feed electric weed eater is very similar to that of the bump head electric weed eater. But, instead of requiring manual effort, this one makes use of a line spinning motor. This means that you’ll be able to do your job much quicker. In case of a breakdown, it can be a bit difficult to replace the automatic feed motor, particularly for first-time users.
- Fixed Head
An electric weed eater with a fixed head uses individual line lengths that can be sorted into the tool one by one as needed. This type of electric weed eater is tough and durable. It doesn’t wear out too quickly or breakdown frequently, which makes it ideal for commercial use
Why Do You Need An Electric Weed Eater?
There are a lot of reasons why you may want to invest in an electric weed eater. It’s not only one of the most convenient tools you can use to keep your yard or garden properly maintained, but it’s also safe for the environment and doesn’t produce a lot of noise to annoy the neighbors.
You’ll be able to quickly and easily get rid of all pesky weeds on your property without having the inconvenience of a heavy gas-powered model. When it comes to lawn care tools, an electric weed eater is one of the easiest to use while being extremely effective at getting rid of unwanted plants in your garden.
In addition to trimming grass and weeds, you can also use an electric weed eater for thinning brush in any areas of your garden or yard that are hard to reach. As you can see, regardless of whether you choose a corded or cordless electric weed eater, there are still a lot of benefits that you can get from this handy little tool.
Here’s a quick recap of all the benefits that come with owning an electric weed eater:
- Conveniently easy to use
- Lightweight and flexible
- Environmentally friendly
- Less noise pollution
- Extremely affordable
- Makes your job easier and faster
- Less maintenance and repairs required
How to Use Electric Weed Eater Properly?
Using an electric weed eater the right way is a very simple process. All you need to do is ensure that you wear protective equipment that will protect your feet, legs, hands, and eyes from the debris and snapped lines that can potentially cause injury.
Once you’re protected, it’s time to check the ground that you intend to trim for bits of class, large pebbles, metals, etc. that might be caught in the line and transform into dangerous missiles.
Next, make sure that the weed eater handle is in a comfortable position. If you’re holding it, you shouldn’t have to stoop or lean over it. So make sure that the head is as close to the ground is possible and that you are in a comfortable stance.
Now turn the weed eater on and begin weeding by moving its smoothly from one side to the other. Make sure you hold the blades of the machine at a steady level and then continue this motion as you move forward.
Listed below are some of the tips for using a weed eater safely:
- Don’t bump your trimmer’s head hard against the ground in order to feed out more lines.
- At all times, make sure that you keep the head level with the ground when weeding near obstructions.
- Never use the weed trimmer right up against a tree trunk, or other large objects in your yard.
- Removes rocks, pieces of metal, plastic, etc. from the grass before using your weed eater otherwise, they will wear down your nylon a lot faster.
- Always make sure you wear proper eye protection, whether it’s goggles or a visor, to keep your face protected whenever using your electric weed eater.
- Never put your hand near the trimmer head whenever it’s in operation.
- Always check your electric cords before using the trimmer to ensure that they are in good condition.
- Don’t force your electric weed eater to do more than it’s designed for. If you start to notice any kind of strain, stop for a few minutes and allow your equipment to cool down.
- Don’t cut weeds all the way down to the ground because you’ll be wasting a lot of the nylon cord.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions
Q-1: Are Electric Weed Eaters Easy to Use?
- Most homeowners generally prefer electric weeders over gas-powered versions for the express reason that they are a lot easier and more convenient to use. This is particularly true for cordless weed eaters. They are often lighter than gas-powered alternatives since you’re not lugging around a gas tank and pistons.
- They are also inherently safer and they don’t give out any noxious fumes that could possibly result in carbon dioxide poisoning. Just remember, if you opt for the cordless electric weed eater, always ensure that you recharge the battery fully after each use to prevent it from going dead before you’re done trimming your lawn.
Q-2: Can the Weed Eater Trimmer Line Break?
- At some point, your feed line will almost inevitably break. When this happens, you need to be able to re-thread the line properly. However, they are also a few steps that you can take to ensure that you minimize the chances of this happening. For the most part, trimmer lines break because of improper storage of the device which leads to corrosion within the head that can interfere with the machine’s proper functioning, causing the line to break.
- Another reason is that there may be contact with bricks, sprinkler heads, and other foreign objects that may cause your line to break. To avoid this, you simply need to stay alert while working so you can keep an eye on what’s ahead in the space where you are using the weed trimmer so you can avoid any type of visible loose debris.
Q-3: What’s the Best Way to Maintain My Electric Weed Eater?
- Caring for your weed eater is not a complicated process. These types of electric trimmers do not require quite as much maintenance as the gas versions do. To keep yours running perfectly for a longer period, make sure that you use the right gauge extension cord when powering it. Make sure the cord is heavy enough for the current your weed eater will draw because using an undersized cord causes the line voltage to drop, which results in overheating and loss of power.
- Also, always make sure you check for damaged parts and clean the air intake slots prior to each use in order to help prevent overheating. Never immerse your electric string trimmer inside water, and don’t use the pressure washer to clean it. Store your machine indoors and away from the reach of children. By doing these things on a regular basis, you minimize the need for much larger repairs in the future.
Q-4: How Long Does the Battery on a Cordless Weed Eater Last?
- The batteries for cordless electric weed eaters don’t last very long. Usually, you’ll get about 15 to 30 minutes of use before you need to recharge the battery again. This means that you either have to purchase additional batteries or you will have to work in shorter bursts.
- Having said that, there are some battery-powered trimmers on the market that have superb battery life and recharge very quickly, which makes this less of a problem. Cordless string trimmers are the obvious option for anyone who doesn’t want to be restricted by electrical cords and also doesn’t want heavy, noisy, and air-polluting gas-powered weed eaters.
The bottom line is that electric weed eaters are convenient, practical tools that are gentle on the environment. These days, there are a lot of models for you to choose from, ranging from the super-lightweight models that are ideal for small-scale jobs, right up to heavy-duty alternatives that offer almost as much power as gas-powered versions do.
So use the information in this article to help you choose the best electric weed eater that will satisfy all your lawn maintenance needs no matter the size of your garden or yard.