Best Tonneau Cover 2019 – Top Rated Truck Bed Cover Reviews & Buying Guide
Getting the best tonneau cover for your truck is something that all pickup truck owners need to consider. These covers not only help to boost the aesthetic value of your vehicle, but they also enhance its functionality.
Tonneau covers are available in various styles, sizes, and designs. However, it’s important to note that you have to choose the right one for your specific pickup if you want to reap all the benefits of installing a tonneau cover on your truck.
There are countless options available on the market for you to choose from, and in an effort to make things easier for you, we’ve rated and reviewed the 10 best products from well-known brands that you can pick from. We have also compiled another review of Bed Liner for you.
Top 10 Best Tonneau Cover: At A Glance
|1. Tyger Auto Tri-Fold|
|2. BAKFlip MX4 Hard-Folding|
|3. TruXedoTruXportSoft Roll-Up|
|4. Tyger Auto T3 Tri-Fold|
|5. Rough Country Soft Tri-Fold|
|6. TruXedo Lo-Pro Soft Roll-up|
|7. Tonno Pro Tonno42-108 TRI-FOLD|
|8. MaxMate Tri-Fold|
|9. Gator ETX Soft 59109 Tri-Fold|
|10. Roll-N-Lock Locking Retractable|
In addition to that, we’ve also included a comprehensive buyer’s guide and FAQ section to answer all the questions you may have about how tonneau covers work, how to install one, and how to maintain it properly.
- Best Tonneau Cover Review:
- 1. Tyger Auto Tri-Fold Truck-Bed Tonneau Cover
- 2. BAKFlip MX4 Hard-Folding Truck-Bed Tonneau Cover
- 3. TruXedoTruXportSoft Roll-Up Truck-Bed Tonneau Cover
- 4. Tyger Auto Tri-Fold Truck-Bed Tonneau Cover
- 5. Rough Country Soft Tri-Fold Tonneau Truck Bed Cover
- 6. TruXedo Lo-Pro Soft Roll-up Bed Tonneau Cover
- 7. Tonno Pro Tonno42-108 TRI-FOLD Bed Tonneau Cover
- 8. MaxMate Tri-Fold Bed Tonneau
- 9. Gator ETX Soft 59109 Tri-Fold Bed Tonneau Cover
- 10. Roll-N-Lock Locking Retractable Truck Bed Cover
- 11. The Tyger Auto Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover
- 12. The Bestop Fold Tonneau Cover
- 13. The Lund Genesis Elite Roll Up Tonneau Cover
- 14. The Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover
- 15. The Retrax 80467 Pro MX Retractable Bed Cover
- Buying Guide: Things to Consider When Buying A Tonneau Cover
- 1. Consider what you want to use the truck bed cover for
- 2. Make sure the cover provides great weather protection
- 3. Choose a cover that has visual appeal
- 4. Compatible with your vehicle
- 5. Choose a tonneau cover that offers easy installation
- 6. Your cover should be easy to clean and maintain
- 7. And finally, you need to consider your budget
- Types of Tonneau Covers:
- Benefits of Tonneau covers:
- How to install a Tonneau cover on your Pick up truck:
- Maintenance of a Tonneau Cover
- Frequently Asked Questions About Tonneau Covers:
Best Tonneau Cover Review:
1. Tyger Auto Tri-Fold Truck-Bed Tonneau Cover
This is by far the most popular cover at the moment. It comes at an incredible bargain price which includes a lifetime warranty. Constructed from 24 oz marine-grade vinyl, this US-designed cover has a frame that is coated with heavy-duty aluminum powder and a stainless steel clamp that provides outstanding durability.
The Tyger Auto Tri-Fold cover doesn’t require any drilling. All you have to do is clamp together the components, and you’re good to go. It’s also very lightweight, compared to a lot of other covers in the same style.
This makes it even easier to install it on your truck, which means that you don’t need to enlist the help of anyone else to get this job done. Available in standard sizes (5.8 ft., 6.5 ft., and 8 ft.), this tonneau cover is great for anyone who is looking for convenience, security, and ease on a budget.
It ensures a watertight fit that will keep your cargo protected even in the worst of conditions. This cover is rated highly in the US thanks to its superior quality and competitive pricing. If you want good value for money, then this is a great cover to consider getting for your truck.
- Quality construction from marine-grade vinyl
- Easy to install, no-drilling installation
- Folds up to offer full access to truck bed
- Comes with a limited lifetime warranty
- Safety buckles allow easy folding and storage
2. BAKFlip MX4 Hard-Folding Truck-Bed Tonneau Cover
This all-new product from popular brand features panels that are made from heavy-duty aluminum and coated with a high-quality matte finish for exceptional UV and scratch-resistance. While it’s similar to other BAK tonneau covers in a lot of respects, this one also has upgraded latch housing mechanisms.
It is the best hard tonneau cover f150that also comes with an integrated tailgate seal which allows you to close the cover even with the tailgate open. This cover from BAKFlip is a heavy-duty, all-season accessory that is designed to give the ultimate performance even in the harshest or most extreme conditions.
The resilient infrastructure of the MX4 is meant for everyday use and features a solid, durable design which affords you that sleek, low-profile look that is sought after by most pickup truck owners. If you’re someone who values aesthetics among other important features, then this is a cover that you need to check out when making your choice.
The stylish, matte finish will make your truck look amazing on the road. Combine that with the resilient infrastructure, and you have what is arguably the best hard folding tonneau cover that you’ll get for the price. Furthermore, it’s made right here in the US and backed by an impressive three-year warranty.
- Gives you 100% access to your truck bed without having to remove cover
- Opens from either side of the vehicle
- Includes injection-molded latch housing mechanism for improved durability and strength
- Does not obstruct brake light when folded upright
- Built with heavy-duty aircraft-grade aluminum sandwich panels
3. TruXedoTruXportSoft Roll-Up Truck-Bed Tonneau Cover
This is a great product to consider if you’re searching for something that can work on virtually any truck bed. The Truxedo is an ideal choice thanks to their quick installations and excellent tension control that helps to keep the bed cover from sagging.
The TruXport Soft Roll-up cover features a convenient double-latch technology, which means that if the clamps simply don’t cut it for you, or if you don’t trust them, then this will work. If you have a 5.5 ft. truck bed, then this may be the ideal cover for you.
The only downside, as far as we can see, is that there have been a few concerns voiced about the durability of some of the product’s components. However, thanks to their stellar customer service and the 5-year limited warranty, you can have the peace of mind of knowing that you can easily resolve any issues that might arise after your purchase of this cover.
Not many of these products offer a decent warranty plan, and this is something that can be a deal breaker when trying to decide which truck bed cover will work best for your needs.
- Super easy installation
- Comes with clamps as well as double latches for quick install
- Tight, sag-free cover thanks to tension control
- Designed to protect against harmful UV rays
- 5-year limited warranty offers best value
4. Tyger Auto Tri-Fold Truck-Bed Tonneau Cover
This is the second Tyger product on our list – and with good reason. This brand has made a commitment to bringing only the best tonneau covers to the market, and so far, they are living up to their promise. If you own a pickup truck and want only the best brands for your accessories, then you won’t go wrong with this one.
The package includes all the installation instructions and hardware that you need for a quick, hassle-free setup. Even someone who has never installed a truck bed cover before will have a relatively easy time with this one. Once installed, this cover will provide your cargo with full protection from all elements such as extreme sunshine, rain, or snow.
Accessing your cargo is a breeze, as this cargo easily folds up all the way. You won’t have to remove it to get full access to your truck bed, which is very good news for anyone who uses their truck bed constantly.
If you want a watertight cover that will keep your payload safe, then consider purchasing the Tyger Auto T3 Tri-fold cover. In addition to all its other amazing features, this cover is also designed to help reduce drag on your vehicle when driving at higher speeds, which means that you’ll be able to make substantial savings on fuel.
- Cover is made with high-quality, heavy-duty vinyl
- Aluminum coated frame ensures durability even with heavy use
- Cover is 100% compliant with all 2016 to 2018 Toyota Tacoma models (as well as other 5 ft. bed trucks)
- Easy no-drilling installation, even works with trucks that don’t have deck rail system
- Comes with Tyger brand limited lifetime warranty
5. Rough Country Soft Tri-Fold Tonneau Truck Bed Cover
After researching and reviewing dozens of covers on the market to come up with this list of the top 10 products, it was easy to determine that Rough Country deserves a spot on the list. This Tri-Fold Vinyl cover is a practical way of protecting the bed of your truck.
It not only keeps your contents safe and out of harm’s way, but it’s also designed to be UV resistant and watertight. If you want a tonneau cover that will secure your cargo while looking sleek and dapper on your truck, then this is definitely one you need to consider.
The cover installs in mere seconds and comes with a 3-ply double-coated vinyl cover that has the added security of a tailgate lock. The triple-fold design gives you full access to your truck bed, which is very convenient if you have to haul large cargo as it means you don’t have to remove the cover to load and unload your truck.
All you need to do is to fold back the sections as needed, and you’re good to go. The cover has an extremely lightweight design that makes for easy one-man installation that doesn’t require the use of any tools. Overall, this is the best tonneau cover for f150 trucks.
- Cover arrives fully assembled and ready to install
- Safety strap is included
- All-weather seal keeps rain, snow, and sunlight out
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Tailgate lock for added security
6. TruXedo Lo-Pro Soft Roll-up Bed Tonneau Cover
This offering from TruXedo fits 15 to 19 Ford F-150 trucks with a 5’6” bed. In a lot of ways, this cover is similar to the previously reviewed product from Rough Country, except that in place of the tri-fold, this model rolls up.
If you’re looking for a truck bed cover that is easy to install and use, then you absolutely must check this one out. The roll-up mechanism means that you’re able to drive while the cover is opened, leaving the bed exposed.
This is something you’d have issues with if you were using other types of tonneau covers that fold up and obstruct the view from the front. If you don’t want the hassle of having to remove the cover completely when transporting larger objects, then this is the option for you.
This cover is super easy to install, and thanks to its vinyl material composition, it’s also very lightweight and durable. It also comes with dual paddle latches that provide added security. They unlock very easily whenever you need quick access to the contents of your truck bed.
- Slim design so the cover isn’t too bulky
- Visually appealing when installed on your truck
- Very competitively priced
- Smooth roll up operation
- Super easy to install
7. Tonno Pro Tonno42-108 TRI-FOLD Bed Tonneau Cover
This cover has become one of the most popular tonneau covers in its class because it assembles in 10 minutes or less. The Tonno Pro Folding cover comes fully assembled to make your life easier. You don’t need to do any drilling and you’ll be able to enjoy a more secure truck bed in just minutes.
If you want added protection for your cargo, this is something you need to consider. The cover has three sections that are hinged together to make it easy to fold it into a more compact unit. In addition to being super easy to install, the cover also comes off in mere seconds.
This means that if you have oversized cargo, you can have it loaded and ready to go in no time at all. If you want safety and convenience on a budget, this is the tonneau cover for you.
- Made with premium, high-quality materials
- Versatile for easy loading of large cargos
- Very affordably priced
- Available in three stunning styles
- Comes with a SureSeal Tailgate Seal
8. MaxMate Tri-Fold Bed Tonneau
When compared to other tonneau covers with the tri-fold design, this product from MaxMate takes the cup thanks to its unique features that make your truck bed weather-tight. No moisture, grime, dust, or excessive heat gets through the cover.
This is something that a lot of people will appreciate, particularly anyone who hauls a lot of cargo on a daily basis, through harsh weather conditions. Removing the cover is a breeze, which means that whenever your cargo is too large for use of a cover, you’ll have it off in just minutes. You can also fold it forward and easily secure it when transporting lesser loads.
The cover has a sleek, low-profile design, which means that it’s going to reduce your truck’s air resistance. That translates to more fuel economy over time. You also get full access to the truck bed thanks to the horizontal crossbars that easily fold up with the tonneau cover.
- US design patented
- Durable, heavy-duty construction
- Pre-assembled for simple, quick setup
- Comes with 10-year warranty
- Ideal for 6’5” truck bed length
9. Gator ETX Soft 59109 Tri-Fold Bed Tonneau Cover
This is yet another top-rated cover that offers maximum protection for your cargo. If you don’t want spying eyes or nimble fingers anywhere near your cargo, then this is the cover for you. It’s not only safe and secure, but it will also protect your goods from severe weather conditions.
This means that you can keep stuff in your truck through the severest rain or snow storms, and it won’t get damaged by the elements. If that’s something that appeals to you, then consider getting the Gator ETX Tri-Fold cover for your pickup truck. After it’s installed, it offers a weather-tight seal to keep your truck bed safe.
The cover also comes with a convenient tailgate seal so you can protect stuff in your truck even when the tailgate is open. The cover comes with buckles that make it easy to fasten and unfasten it for easy loading. You can install this cover and be on your way in just 10 minutes.
- Easily fits 2015 t o2019 Ford F150 models
- Cover folds in three places for easy use
- Made from heavy-duty vinyl that is tear-resistant
- Quick installation that doesn’t require tools
- Comes with a limited lifetime warranty
10. Roll-N-Lock Locking Retractable Truck Bed Cover
The suspended design of this tonneau cover is spectacular. It’s made with super strong metal bars covered with aluminum and the entire cover is retractable, folding right back to the cab. There aren’t any seams, and the cover is designed to stay put no matter what the weather conditions.
The actual cover isn’t foldable, but it does retract in much the same way that blinds on a window do. It closes the bed, and is locked by a patented locking technology on the tailgate. It’s important to note that there is some drilling necessary with this tonneau cover.
But, it does come with clamps that help to reduce the actual number of holes that need to be drilled to install the cover. All in all, it’s a pretty clever design, and if you are looking for reliability and durability at a very affordable cost, then this might just be the perfect truck bed cover for you. This is undoubtedly the best retractable tonneau cover that you’ll get for the price.
- 3-year manufacturer’s warranty for your peace of mind
- Durable construction will last you a long time
- Made with robust aluminum-coated metal
- Cover retracts easily and closes in seconds
- Patented locking mechanism for added security
11. The Tyger Auto Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover
Tyger manufactures some of the best soft tonneau covers in the market. This one is the strongest heavy duty cover of the Tyger T series which includes T1/T2 fold bed covers and T3/T5 tri-fold covers. They are well designed to fit under the bed rails on a Ram 1500 fleetside truck bed. They are for a 5.8ft cargo haul without a Ram Box. The cover is heavily strengthened with 24oz military grade vinyl and supported with aluminum coated iron frames that fit directly onto your rails using a strong fore clamp, up bowing crossbars and flip rear latches. It has classy slanting edges that fit perfectly onto your cargo haul preventing penetration of water and snow.
The Tri-fold is held to the front of the rail by leather buckles when folded to allow you access your whole truck bed. The whole cover is generally light and extremely easy to install. You only need to strengthen the font clamps in place, there is no need for drilling your rails which keeps your truck in original shape. The covers work perfectly with a bed liner but you will need to cut small holes to access the rails for a firm grip of the clamps. However, they are not your best option if you have a ram box. Tiger offers a limited lifetime warranty on their products, all you have to do is measure your truck bed size and give them an order.
- The extra strengthened vinyl cover and steel bars are weatherproof and can hold off a great weight of snow build up.
- The tri-fold can lay vertically against the cab at maximum fold offering you access to the whole truck bed.
- The horizontal bars are coated with an aircraft grade aluminum alloy making them very resistant to water.
- The covers have adjustable tension control allowing you to cover some bulky cargo too.
12. The Bestop Fold Tonneau Cover
If you own a Jeep Wrangler or a Chevy, you probably bought your truck with the Bestop Textured Leather fold Tonneau cover. These are basically three stacks of a 25-pound cover that you latch onto your trucked frame and lock as it is designed to fit perfectly onto Chevy Silverado frames with bed management style bodies. It doesn’t fit onto classic style bodies. It is light and structured to stack evenly to provide maximum access to your truck bed. Strapping and pushing is all you do to install meaning you will use 5 minutes or less to install or remove. The lock and latch design do not need drilling or bed rails to fit.
Bestop has a weatherproof textured leather/vinyl cover for this pickup bed cover to remain flexible even when hit with rain. It also retains its original color under intense heat due to the smooth vinyl fish. The cover is an all-weather Tonneau cover suited for the harshest summers or winters. The aircraft grade aluminum frames are very light but strong to withstand heavy overloads and hold them over the rails cover water tightly on your truck. The leather latches should not worry you, maximum stability is offered by reinforced corners designed with a hinge to fit into the truck bed rail frame with a simple push. The latches hold the cover to the front side of the truck rails and you can as easily unlatch it if you need to use the whole truck bed.
Bestop offers a limited lifetime warranty for this fold cover for both the frame and the leather cover. The vinyl fabric is also served with the Bestop anti UV ray protection that protects your cargo from intense heat even if the truck stays in the hot sun for a long time. Bestop also offers high-quality customer support with a free return policy within the warranty period. The folding cover is designed for a 5.8ft truck bed.
- All weather resistant fabric that is durable through any season of the year.
- The simplest installation process for any fold truck bed cover.
- Adjustable clamps that can be moved from one point of the truck to another to suit different heights of cargo.
- The covers are specifically designed for the specific trucks ensuring a perfect compatibility.
- The EZ fold style achieves a perfect stack when you open the folding cover making it easy to lift off and onto the truck.
- The extra strengthened corners with integrated buckle straps offer extra protection from weather elements.
13. The Lund Genesis Elite Roll Up Tonneau Cover
Lund makes great aftermarket car accessories and their annually updated roll-up covers are one of the best pickup truck bed covers you can buy. Their twill weave design supported by an adjustable set of straps on both sides holds tightly to the aluminum frames. The weave is quite flexible and water-resistant, you can drive around the whole day in heavy rains without water touching the truck bed. Lund uses a Rubber seal on both sides of the front and rear rail to keep the Cover water resistant. The Velcro sealing also fits perfectly with any truck from 1500 to 35oo Silverado and Siera with 6.5ft truck beds. It doesn’t fit on 5.8ft and 8ft truck beds.
Maximum access to your truck bed by this truck bed cover is fully allowed as the cover rolls all the way back and sticks in place with nylon straps. The cover is also water and UV resistant which makes it retain its bright appearance under harsh sunlight. It is pre-assembled, all you have to do is put the clamps in place.
Lund also employs tapered corners and a smooth finish which makes cleaning quite easy and complimentary to truck appearance. This Tonneau cover employs an Automatic tension control allowing you to tighten it maximally for safe strapping. The Frames fit perfectly over the truck bed rails. The whole cover weighs 30 pounds and doesn’t increase the lag on your truck. Lund manufactures in the USA and offers a limited lifetime warranty on their truck bed covers.
- The Tear resistant, UV protection, and waterproof twill weave material are durable.
- After rolling back, the cover recoils far back onto the cab leaving full access to your truck bed.
- An automatic adjustable extension makes it easy to open and close your truck bed from a single point.
- Tapered frames fit perfectly onto the rail frames and allow water to flow off smoothly.
14. The Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover
This is simply the ultimate description of heavy duty. This cover is one of the best high range heavy duty fold covers in the market. The material is a double fold set of 1 inch TPO panels strengthened with aluminum powder. The extra strengthening allows you to carry heavy loads on top of the bed cover without a dent. The front panels are held in place with strong Jaw Grip clamps at the front Truck rails which hold directly onto your truck bed rails. The other panels are locked with EZ latch clamps under the rails that can be opened easily with a simple flip.
The cover is made of a heavy automotive grade thermoplastic skin suited with a textured matte finish for all weather service. It also offers maximum security with a tailgate seal that can only be accessed by lifting the Rear latches and panel. Extang employed a shiny OEM Matte finish that compliments appearance and remains cool even with the hottest summer sun. It is fully assembled for you to simply lock clamps in place unaided in less than 20 minutes. The folding cover is suitable for 5.8ft to 8ft truck bed sizes.
- Shiny rectangular frames that hold strongly onto the truck rails with a matte texture that has a classy appearance.
- The strong panels cover the top of the truck firmly with a secure Tailgated allowing you to load bulky cargo on top with no tear or dent risk.
- A versatile bed cover with a complimentary finish that can fit on almost any truck bed.
15. The Retrax 80467 Pro MX Retractable Bed Cover
This is frankly one of the best retractable Tonneau Covers in the market. The high range pricing is completely worth the service if you need a hassle-free Tonneau cover for your 8ft truck bed. This retractable cover can literally last as long as your car with the high-density aluminum plated frames and crossbars that are hinged together for durability. The low profile mate finish can withstand any bulky cargo without a scratch or a dent. The overhead carrying capacity of over 500 pounds allows you to strap heavy cargo such as a bike on your cover without affecting its shape.
Operating this retractable cover is simplified. Once installed, you can lock your tonneau cover by latching it in place with the dual rear latches or simply lock it with a key. It,s hinged joinery makes it fit at almost any position on your truck bed allowing you to carry both sensitive an bulky cargo at the same time. Retrax uses a powerful rolling system made of sealed ball bearings that prevent the retractable cover from locking when you open or close it. The OE covers fit well with any OE bed covers and appear like an original part of your bed cover.
- A strong extra strengthened top cover that can support up to 500 pounds in overhead weight.
- A simple automatic roll and lock system that does not require pulling or rolling to fit.
- A dual latch system that secures safely. You can also lock with a key for extra security.
- The design is literally designed to last your car’s lifetime removing the cost of buying another Tonneau cover.
Buying Guide: Things to Consider When Buying A Tonneau Cover
There are certain things that you should look for when choosing a tonneau cover. But first, you need to measure the bed of your truck so that you can choose the right size cover that will fit your truck perfectly. Once you have your measurements, you can then consider the features listed below and choose according to your needs.
1. Consider what you want to use the truck bed cover for
The cover you ultimately choose to go with needs to serve your intended purpose well. For instance, if safety is something you value, and you want to protect your cargo from outside elements (including people who would steal it…) then consider the safety features of a cover before making your decision. If you’re getting a cover simply to make your truck look cool, then consider the design and style first.
2. Make sure the cover provides great weather protection
Your vehicle is obviously built to take all that Mother Nature can dish out, and so your cover needs to have the same durability in the face of harsh weather conditions like snow, hail, extreme sun, and rain. Your cover needs to withstand any test of the elements otherwise your cargo may get damaged.
3. Choose a cover that has visual appeal
Even if the main purpose of your cover is to protect cargo, it still shouldn’t look like an afterthought on your vehicle. Make sure that you choose a stylish cover that will enhance the way your vehicle looks. Luckily, with this type of product, even simple and affordable covers can transform your vehicle’s looks in an incredible way.
4. Compatible with your vehicle
Every truck comes with a bed liner. This can be a mat, carpet-type, or painted, and it means that you need to ensure that your cover is compatible with your truck’s bed liner. You need to be able to easily install the cover without the need for any modifications to your truck’s current setup.
5. Choose a tonneau cover that offers easy installation
Good quality truck covers can be installed with ease in just 10 or 20 minutes. Some cover models require you to do some prep work before installing them. For others, you may need extra assistance. There are even covers that require you to drill holes before you can install them. Take all this into account when choosing your cover so that you can opt for one that does not put you through so much hard work.
6. Your cover should be easy to clean and maintain
Easy maintenance is yet another important feature that you should consider. You need to be able to properly care for your cover to keep it looking and performing its best for years to come. The good news is that our list of the 10 best tonneau cover reviews includes products that are very easy to clean using an adequate cleanser.
7. And finally, you need to consider your budget
This wasn’t placed at the beginning for a reason. While the price may be one of the most crucial parts of your buying process, this is a valuable investment that will serve you for years to come. So make sure you don’t base your decision solely on the price.
Types of Tonneau Covers:
There are various types of covers available out there. Different brands come up with different models in all kinds of styles, materials, colors, etc. This means that your choice is virtually unlimited when looking for the best cover for your pickup truck. However, all truck bed covers can be grouped into two main categories, which are:
- Soft Tonneau Covers
These are typically made from fabric with a rubberized coating such as vinyl. They material is versatile and durable, and the covers are available in a massive selection of options that are generally easy to install, remove, and store. Soft covers are also less expensive than hardcovers.
- Hard Tonneau Covers
Hardcovers have a rigid design that looks like the hood or trunk. They are made from metals, fiberglass, plastic, and other hard materials. These products also come in a wide range of styles (foldable, hinged, solid, and so on). Installing or uninstalling this type of cover on your truck may take more time, and it might require more than one person. Needless to say, these cost more than soft covers.
Digging a little deeper, we can see that both hard and soft covers come in different options to suit every taste and preference:
Roll up Tonneau Covers – Made from soft materials like vinyl, this type of cover can attach to your truck bed using Velcro, snaps, or tongue-and-groove seals. We’ve included the best roll-up tonneau cover on our review list for anyone on a budget.
Retractable Tonneau Covers– These covers are 100% watertight and ensure the optimal protection for cargo. They also give you easy access to the bed of your truck.
Hinged Tonneau Covers – This type of cover acts as a trunk lid. It’s hinged to the front part of your truck’s bed (hence the name).
Folding Tonneau Covers– These covers are constructed using two or more panels. They are set in a way that they fold on each other, giving you easy, convenient access to the truck bed.
Toolbox Tonneau Covers– There are some covers that have an integrated toolbox which can be mounted clear of the truck bed rails.
Locking Tonneau Covers– This type of cover is made from durable, robust materials like ABS plastic, fiberglass, or aluminum, and comes with a built-in locking mechanism that offers the ultimate protection for your cargo.
Benefits of Tonneau covers:
People install tonneau covers on truck beds for various reasons. No matter what your intended purpose is, getting a cover for your truck comes with a lot of advantages, some of which may surprise you. Below, we’ve listed 5 of the most important benefits of installing a tonneau cover on your truck:
- More Security
This is one of the most popular features of truck covers. They give your cargo security. Of course, determined thieves have always managed to find their way into anything, but a tonneau cover will discourage the majority of them. Also, your cargo will be protected from dust, rain, and other elements that may cause damage to the goods.
The truck cover will also keep things from falling over the side as you travel on bumpy roads. You can even keep food and beverages under your cover for those recreational outdoor activities.
- Extra Space
You may be wondering how a tonneau cover increases your space. And no, they aren’t magic, and they don’t increase the size of your truck bed. But, soft covers will allow you to stack your cargo higher in the same area. By doing so, you’ll easily be able to fit extra items and secure them with the soft cover.
This feature doesn’t affect the security or safety, and everything will stay where it’s supposed to beneath the cover.
- Aesthetic Value
Even for those of you who don’t have cargo, it’s still a great idea to install a tonneau cover on your pickup. Why? Because it neatens your truck and ensures that the bed remains safe. If you choose the right cover for your truck, you’ll see an instant, spectacular change in how your vehicle looks overall.
This is particularly true if you’re often carrying cargo which can make your truck look untidy. A tonneau cover is a great way to keep your car looking attractive no matter what kind of situation is going on inside.
- Fuel Consumption
If you’re not sure how tonneau covers help with fuel consumption, suffice it to say that studies have been conducted to prove that tonneau covers reduce lagging. It was shown that air pressure improves aerodynamics, which means that when you’re driving at substantial speeds, you can cut through the air easily.
This basically means that your truck will require less energy, ultimately resulting in a decrease in fuel consumption. While some may argue that the savings are not very significant, we’d still list that as a benefit. After all, savings are savings, right?
So as you can see, there are a variety of benefits that you’ll enjoy by installing a cover on the bed of your truck – from keeping your belongings safe from harsh elements to preventing theft of items from the truck. Whether you want a cover to help extend the life of your truck bed, or if you want to improve your trucks appearance or fuel economy, this is an investment that will provide great value to you.
How to install a Tonneau cover on your Pick up truck:
As long as you buy the right cover for your truck, installation should not be very hard. In fact, it will probably take you a lot longer to make your decision as to which cover to get than it will take to install it. Use the following tips to help you install your cover easily and properly. After opening your packaging, locate the manufacturer’s instructions for the cover.
Make sure that everything is accounted for before you being. The installation process for most types of tonneau covers isn’t very labor-intensive, but you may need a few tools, clamps, and shims, as necessitated by the system you chose. While the installation of different products may vary slightly, the general process remains the same and includes:
Placing the cover rails – covers typically come with a couple of side rails that you need to attach on the inside of your truck bed. These are for providing support for the main cover.
Placing the cover – this is something you do last, after you’ve secured the clamps, bolts, etc. on the cover rails. Lay the cover on the rails and determine that it’s the right size. If it’s too wide or too long, you may have to manually adjust its length. If it’s the right size you can then bolt it into place with the proper tools.
Tighten the bolts – This is a simple step that people often overlook. Covers tend to come off and they need to be tightened every month or even every week depending on the level of use. Read more about tonneau cover on damntools.com
Maintenance of a Tonneau Cover
To help you keep your tonneau cover looking its best, here are four simple steps to cleaning and maintaining your cover so it can last you a very long time:
Step 1: Inspect the cover for damage regularly
This is something that is essential when it comes to maintaining your truck cover. Just as you do an inspection on your car before you drive off, you need to examine your cover. Check for issues like corrosion, dents, lodged debris, looseness, and any scratches and bumps so you can take care of them before the condition worsens and becomes costly to fix.
Also, you will be able to avoid the damaged area during washing so that you don’t make the issue even worse.
Step 2: Avoid placing heavy objects on the cover
If your goal is to maintain your cover looking the best it possibly can, then you need to avoid putting heavy things on it, as this can cause sagging over time. It also exposes your cover to scratches, dents, and other types of sudden damage.
Your manual will have the specific weight capacity of your tonneau cover, but it’s still a good idea not to take risks in this regard so your cover can stay looking new for as long as possible.
Step 3: Fasten all the hardware
Mounting clips and other hardware can cause serious damage to your cover if they are not fastened tightly. Before you wash your cover, make sure the clips are all securely in place to eliminate any possibility of your cover getting torn as you brush.
It’s also essential to open and close the cover regularly to ensure that it opens and closes smoothly at all times. If it doesn’t slide easily, you can use lubricant on the rails to protect against wear and traction.
Step 4: Wash your cover properly
Following the right washing procedure will help to keep your cover in its best state. Your method of washing your cover is going to depend on the type and quality you chose. But, most manufacturers also produce cleaning equipment so you can clean your cover the right way.
Only use cold water and mild soap when cleaning your cover. Don’t scrub too harshly, and only use soft bristle brushes, towels, or sponges to wash it. Rinse the cover with cold water when you’re done and allow it to dry.
Frequently Asked Questions About Tonneau Covers:
Q-1: Can a tonneau cover keep water out?
- Roll up bed covers are not as waterproof as hard/retractable covers. No matter what type of bed cover you’ve got, you can use a special tailgate seal to help block much of the dust and water on your truck bed. If this is a very important feature to you, then make sure that you choose a truck cover that is watertight from our review list.
Q-2: What is the best tonneau cover made of?
- Again, this depends on what your needs are. The best cover for you may not be the best cover for the next pickup truck owner. Roll up tonneau covers made from vinyl or cloth will serve a different purpose than retractable covers made from hard plastic, fiberglass, or aluminum. Make your choice according to what you require the cover for: aesthetics, security, protection from elements, etc.
Q-3: How well does abed cover secure my cargo?
- Your cargo is only as secure as your cover material allows. If the cover is made from material like fabric or vinyl, then it can easily be punctured using a sharp tool. But, if the cover is made from hard material that is extremely tough to crack, then your cargo will obviously be a lot more secure.
- As previously mentioned, some bed covers even come with inbuilt locking systems for added security. If this is something that is important to you, then make sure that you consider this feature when making your choice of the best bed cover for your truck.
Q-4: Is it possible to use my cover with a truck bed liner?
- Yes, you can use a system like that, but only if the cover is fully compatible with your current bed liner. Your main concern here is if your bed liner will cover the bed rail, also. If it does, then you only have to worry about mounting points for the cover.
- To use it in such a case, you can create small notches right through the liner for attaching the cover clamps in. However, if you have a bed liner that is sprayed on or painted on, then installing a cover shouldn’t be an issue.
Q-5: Is it possible to use additional accessories with tonneau covers?
- Your ability to use extra accessories is going to depend on the model of your truck as well as the cover you’re using. Some tonneau covers can only be installed in certain types of trucks, and if your vehicle or cover doesn’t offer the required level of versatility to add accessories, then your options are going to be very limited.
- There are certain cover designs that go very well with modifications that you can fit extra accessories on to. But, keep in mind that any modifications will likely render your tonneau cover warranty void.
If you drive a pickup truck, then consider investing in a tonneau cover. This is something that is essential not only for making your truck look great but also for boosting its functionality. It will help to keep your cargo secure and safe from the elements during transportation, and also keep your items away from thieving hands.
Choose the best tonneau cover from our list of the most popular options you’ll find on the market today. We’ve made it easy for you by rating and reviewing them according to all the factors on our buying guide, including price, materials, style, design, and various other features. You may also need seat covers.